• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on 923/931 a2 and snow plows.

Goinmxn

Ok, here is the plan. I am going to purchase 2 5 ton trucks. 923a2 or 931a2 wichever I find the best deals On. They will be outfitted with 11 foot plows, and 5 to 7 yard sanders. I'm after municipal/state plows, they will probably be Vaulk plows. I will buy 2 of the same ones for interchangeability and trouble shooting. These plows weigh about 2100 lbs. Fabrication of the mounts is no problem. I have built 6 rock crawlers to date, and love fab work. I have a shop full of welders, plasma cutter, torches, forklift etc. Based on the specs for the front axles weight plate on the truck, the super singles will not handle this. Yet I swear there is a guy near me (leesburg va) I've seen running a big plow on the super singles? Do any of you have first hand experience with this? If I need to switch tires no big deal, just want to determine this before I build the mounts if possible, so I can set my ride height properly once the plow is on.
Part two. Sanders I can get gas powered ones, but I would really prefer hydraulic power. Can I use the pto system to drive a pump? I searched and found some confusing and inconclusive ( to me) answers. If so, I could also run the plow hydros as well so there is less electric stuff to worry about.
Thans guys, looking forward to this project and I will share it with you all once under way;)

Artisan

I have not the answers, I hope to learn here for I will
be doing this exercise some day too.

What is the front axle rated at and what will the actual be w/ the spreader
on the back loaded? That would tell you how much, if any is left yes? If
the tires are the issue is there a SuperSuper Single available or switch
to 21" rims and bigger tires like off the MK48 and it's trailers?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I built a plow truck 2 years ago.It was a m932a2.I ran the plow hyd. from a 24 volt electric over hyd. pump.I never put a spreader on it.I sold it to a guy in Va.He plows for the state.He loves the truck.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I wanted to do a plow on a 5 ton. I made an account on plowsite and asked about it but all they wanted to talk about were cdls so I have up there. I was looking for a plow that raised and lowered with system air not hydraulic. From the information I could gather, you need a big strong plow or it will just bend on you. John Appels in PA had a 932a2 he had added at plow to last year there were pics of it somewhere. He had bars coming down from the extended bumper and then supports angling up from the plow frame. In the summertime you can pick up surplus dot trucks already set up at very reasonable prices.
Will

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a couple of us who've done it. I've got a Gledhill 11' municipal snow plow on an M925. I'm using the winch hydraulics to run the angle cylinders and a Haldex 24V wet system to run the lift cylinder. The mount is a Gledhill (specific to the plow) that I picked up in a junk yard, refurbished and fabricated to the frame extensions on the M925. I have run the truck with both G177's and this year 14R20's (much better traction in the snow with super singles). It worked well, went through 6-7 foot drifts like butter.....no issues other than I have the plow mounted high (gravel road vs. asphalt)........so it tends to push the plow forward against the springs when plowing anything under 3 feet.

I phone 003.jpg IMG_0192.jpg IMG_0193.jpg4NE18_AS01.jpg

Last edited:

Artisan

I built a plow truck 2 years ago.It was a m932a2.I ran the plow hyd. from a 24 volt electric over hyd. pump.I never put a spreader on it.I sold it to a guy in Va.He plows for the state.He loves the truck.
Would love to see detailed pics of our genius John!

Goinmxn

Great information. So from the looks of it Neophyte, super singles are not an issue as far as weight. I'm leaning towards a 24 volt electric over hydraulic setup for the plow like John did. Still working on the spreader. As far as air, I've witnessed first hand quite a few failures that involve brittle frozen air lines and valves freezing in the middle of an event. I am comfortable with hydraulic systems, not so much with air so I'll stick with hydro power. I have seen quite a few state plow setups for good prices, but I like the idea of starting from scratch on a low mileage truck that I build. That way I understand the entire truck. It is nice to start with no rust as well. I take great care in preventing rust on my plow trucks. Hot water pressure washing every time and liberal fluid film use have kept mine clean. I just sold a 05 cummins that plowed 8 years. Took the mounts off, wiring out and it looked great under the truck. State trucks can have dreadful looking chassis! Keep it coming, again thanks for the info!

Goinmxn

I agree, John if you had pics that would be great. I wonder if its the guy I see in Leesburg? Neophyte, your setup looks fine. Far from "junkyard"!
I checked in on plowsite. For some reason they think 2.5 or 5 tons are a waste of time for plowing. Most of those guys are commercial lots. I need the 5 tons for highways. Long straight stretches! My skids can have the Walmart and koles.

Artisan

Eastern Surplus builds some nice rigs. I do not think they would mind
me posting up pics of there handy work. I look at this and I am imediatly
drawn to the HIGH ground clearance up front. So many times I see
these plow trucks w/ 6" or so of ground clearance and THAT does not
work for me. If this truck is still in service w/o issues I applaud
easterns designs;

(Pics to big to post, here are links to them)

EASTERN PLOW TRUCK 1

EASTERN PLOW TRUCK 2

EASTERN PLOW TRUCK 3

...and of corse some great pics of Neo's handy work! neo Neo NEO! CLICK HERE

NYC M923A2

NYC sells surplus dump trucks with plow jacks and mounting sleeves, they also sell 16 yard salt spreaders with plow jacks and mounting sleeves, you may find a dump truck/ spreader combo with a steel plate that covers the conveyor when used as a dump truck. They may not look pretty but they run great and are relinquished after 8 or 9 winters! Search NYC surplus vehicles or Coparts

rivercreek

How is everything Chandler? Didn't get much of a chance to chat with you this past winter.. P.S. - Did you see the snow flurries this afternoon?? I thought about calling Jeff and asking how many trucks they were gonna need.. :)

5 TON FEVER

Not much man!! How about yourself?? Yes I was out mowing the back forty and had some snow flakes falling. We need to get together one of these days and chat about last season. I was given a Milltown Rd last season!! You ever need an extra set of hands while working on your equipment let me know. I'm right over the mountain!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks