• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on a 50-100 gallon Auxiliary tank for MEP-802A generator

Zebcorod

What would be the best option for a 50-100 gallon Auxiliary tank for MEP-802A generator? Is there something out there that already has the correct fitting for the hose that comes with MEP-802a? ....Maybe military surplus tank....Can it be connected to a transfer or storage tank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the flange fitting and copper pipe should work splendidly with a 55 gallon steel drum... thats what I use.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The only thing that your going to be mindful of... It's heavy when filled.

A MEP-802A even at 100% load with its tank and a 50 gallon drum will have you running 24/7 for 7 plus days straight.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Adapter, Container NSN 5342-00-066-1235 MFR P/N: 13211E7541

Is the 5 gallon/55 gallon bung adapter which the aux fuel line connects to.
Aux fuel can plug.jpg

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Can the tank in these be higher than the fuel tank in the unit with out siphoning the whole aux tank onto the ground?

biz

you can also get a used home heating oil tank for free a lot of times. 275 gallon tanks are being given away all the time. thats what im doing. I wont keep it full. probably only 100 gallons unless it looks like were going to get slammed with a major blizzard. you can get make an adapter so the aux fuel line can connect to it.

lindsey97

Use poly barrels so you will not have any rust problems. Or a 275 gallon square tote.

Treat your fuel with biocide, and try to store it in the shade, inside, out of direct sunlight. Keep in mind diesel is flammable, so have a plan to fight fire and be careful as to what is around your storage tank.

Install a filter to clean the fuel and trap any water. Diesel is hygroscopic; meaning it attracts water. So regardless of what container you choose, keep it completely full in order to minimize expansion/contraction in order to mitigate moisture intrusion. And treat your fuel with power service or something similar.

I personally would buy a 100 gallon aluminum l-step transfer tank for my pickup, and use it to feed whatever is running. I have one, but they may be too pricey if not used for work/business.

Guyfang

Staff member
Can the tank in these be higher than the fuel tank in the unit with out siphoning the whole aux tank onto the ground?
Not quite sure what you mean here. I am guessing that you want to know if your Aux tank can be up higher than the gen set, without all the fuel draining into the gen set and being spilled on the ground? If so, no, it cant happen, UNLESS the fuel tank shut off circuits, (fuel cutoff float) do not work right. Your aux fuel must pass through the electric aux fuel pump, and that is controlled by the float switch. If the pump gets no signal from the float switch, no fuel will pass.

Dewie38

I don't suppose you are gonna have your fuel supply tank 6 feet in the air, so there should be no problem.
The TQ fuel pumps are supposed to be able to operate properly with a 6 foot head on them.
I do know that if the supply is to high and the head pressure is to high there is a chance that the fuel will weep past the diaphragm in the pump and in to the tank.
We had our day tanks up over 6 feet, probably about 10 feet up and had to put regulators on them to insure there wasn't to much head pressure.

biz

i think hes asking about siphon strength, but after the fuel is siphoned you now have to make sure gravity isnt putting too much head pressure on the pump like dewie said.

csheath

Seems like this would require some further investigation. I see no check valve or float valve in the fuel line on the auxiliary fuel system. Most fuel pumps will allow free flow through them unless they have a spring loaded check valve inside. I would hope they thought this out and put a spring loaded check valve in the pump. Simply turning the pump off would not prevent flow through it otherwise.

m715

The generator fuel tank adaptor you need is ------ fuel feed -return-fill - adaptor 6-1-6274. This screws onto the fuel tank and looks similar to the jerry can adaptor. Newhaven 2in. A seller on a large auction site has sold them in the past. fastcashmoneyman.

Bmxenbrett

Yes thats exactly what im asking. So it will not self siphon after the aux pump stops...or at least if everything works as it should it wont self siphon.
I have a 20gal steel barrel i plan on useing. Stands about 4ft tall sitting on the ground.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about the MEP802A, but I have an MEP003A. The auxiliary pump won't pull fuel very high and I find it works much better if the auxiliary fuel supply is at least 2 - 3 feet higher than the level of the auxiliary pump. I've had the auxiliary fuel as high as almost 10 feet above the level of the pump and never had an issue. I believe the auxiliary pump itself is acting like a check valve. I store some spare fuel in a couple of 5-gallon plastic containers for convenience. However, my main fuel supply for backup purposes resides in the fuel tanks of my two M35 trucks, my two John Deere tractors, my F250 diesel pickup and my VW Jetta TDI. Between all of these vehicles I have a lot of fuel available. The best part is that I don't have bulk fuel stored that is ageing. Every time I refuel one of the vehicles, my generator backup fuel is refreshed as well. Plus, no handling heavy 55-gallon drums of fuel, etc. I also have minimal concerns about potential fire and storing bulk fuel.

Bmxenbrett

Mine is my heating oil tank. I have a wood stove. The 20gal barrel would be for extended periods or i can just use 5gal cans

Zebcorod

The generator fuel tank adaptor you need is ------ fuel feed -return-fill - adaptor 6-1-6274. This screws onto the fuel tank and looks similar to the jerry can adaptor. Newhaven 2in. A seller on a large auction site has sold them in the past. fastcashmoneyman.
m715 - Thanks for the adaptor # and website!

Also

DayBeak - thanks for this info!!

Adapter, Container NSN 5342-00-066-1235 MFR P/N: 13211E7541

Is the 5 gallon/55 gallon bung adapter which the aux fuel line connects to.

You guys and everyone else that has responded to this post have me on the right track now. I appreciate you help!

I found a couple of used aluminum tanks for sale locally. What do you guys think of these:

tanks 2 alumn.jpg

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you can also get a used home heating oil tank for free a lot of times. 275 gallon tanks are being given away all the time. thats what im doing. I wont keep it full. probably only 100 gallons unless it looks like were going to get slammed with a major blizzard. you can get make an adapter so the aux fuel line can connect to it.
I'd fill it to keep the moisture potential down. Half filled is a lot of volume to suck water out of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks