• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on removing Commando Run Flat 14.00x20 tires from lock ring tires

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I need to have 4 tires removed from some lock rings and I had a off road truck tire place beat their heads against the wall trying to remove the lock ring. The tires are old worn out Commando Run Flats and have been on the rims since at least the late 1960s. They put it on a 25 ton press and no luck. I've tried cutting them off with a demo blade from with a sawsall, no luck, it will not cut through it before the blade getting clogged with melted rubber. I've tried by portable bandsaw, no luck. I am almost to the point of just burning the tires off but I know I'll get fined for that since I live in the city and the tires would make one **** of a column of black smoke.

Anyone have any thoughts. It would be a lot easier if the tires and rims didn't weigh almost 400 lbs each.

FML

Jason

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it safe to assume you wish to reuse the lock ring? I have cut those off of an assembled tire/wheel with a cutting torch without catching the tire on fire too much. If you resort to the tire burning, you have to do that at night out in the sticks. Works really well and does not seem to damage the rim, which will glow cherry red in the process.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I burned 5 off. Babysit'd them a couple hours using a garden hose to keep the steel cool. Worked good. Suggest you do it at night when the wind is favorable. Read they did this in VN.

I had a guy do a couple. He had a 250 ton press with a huge table of maybe 6 or 8" think steel. His trade was solid fork lift tires. He used a back up ring to keep the wheels from getting stressed. Said he had to use WD40 and work them up and down a bit. Cost was 50 ea. After talking to him I felt he knew what he was doing and would stop work before damaging the wheel.

I know of a person that used a fecent truck tire shop. They said 'no problem we do em all the time...' When the gentleman came back he was given a destroyed wheel and told 'Don't ever bring another one here again'.

I made a press and did 4. 20 tons is not enough. I had a 4 or 5 ft bar in the 20? ton bottle jack (went way over capacity). I expected an explosive failure and/or splinters. Say what you want about Chinese but they sure know how to make a bottle jack. On 2 I had to cut the cables. There are 3 on each side. With press maxed out I drilled a hole just outside the wires (next to wheel/ ring) then put a gas welding tip in the hole and burned it. Once you start the fire you can turn off the acetylene, Blowing pure O2 in hole makes it a mini blast furnace. The steel gets exposed, turns red, then burns away when you direct the O2 at it. Same as if you were using a cutting torch. The tip will probably overheat (turn red) You may want to keep a cup of water near by so you can cool it. If you don't you will probably melt the end off. Expect a very loud bang each time a wire is severed. Cut a 4x4"hole or flap in sidewall with a circular saw. This will act as a vent and prevent an explosion should the area inside wheel become full of explosive gas/ rubber vapor mixture. In the confined area it can generate enough force to rip apart the tire. I read someone got killed, crushed skull, by a tread flap when a tire exploded on a wheel he was welding on.

If mounting run flats you will need a press to put the ring on. The beads are 4" each. On a 10" wheel there is only 2 inch available before the sides touch. The lock rings safety ring is about 1-1/2 wide.

Modern radials like Goodyear AT2A's are easy to mount

Let me know if come across a spare lock ring. I have a spare set of wheels, they are really nice but for one ring. It is pretty beat up. Jim

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks