• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on simple m818 mod

Tranham

I imagine this has been discussed but I've not found the thread so... I want to single my rear axles by deleting 4 tires only. Keep the stock tires, not super singles. I use my truck to run around and pull a halftrack on a gooseneck trailer. It's has been upgraded to a modern tranny and will do 65. The idea is lose some weight, friction and keep the extra 4 tires to replace the rear later to save $. Any reasons not to do this? Will it help out enough to notice with power?

Robert

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I imagine this has been discussed but I've not found the thread so... I want to single my rear axles by deleting 4 tires only. Keep the stock tires, not super singles. I use my truck to run around and pull a halftrack on a gooseneck trailer. It's has been upgraded to a modern tranny and will do 65. The idea is lose some weight, friction and keep the extra 4 tires to replace the rear later to save $. Any reasons not to do this? Will it help out enough to notice with power?

Robert
Sounds like you want to do 70, have you given ANY THOUGHT to the SINGLE CIRCUT JUICE BRAKE SYSTEM, If you want go this fast why not put the 818 tin on a civi truck that has air brakes.

Sounds like you want to do 70, have you given ANY THOUGHT to the SINGLE CIRCUT JUICE BRAKE SYSTEM, If you want go this fast why not put the 818 tin on a civi truck that has air brakes.
Like Ron said BRAKES! or the possible lack of.
that's one of the reasons I modded my truck. I now have a power divider,(saves tire wear ) good road speed, smooth ride,(cause I went air ride) and real brakes.

What trans did you go with?

FormerNewMVGuy

Sounds to me as if the OP wants to make a single axle tractor, Or as the "Hip" guys say , A Bobber. Then he would like to keep it as dual rear tires on one rear axle.
Maybe ya oughta slow down when your reading , and understand the question.
And as to the question, I think it would work just fine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm reading it as he wants to just go to single tires(stock size) on the rear axles.

This would require a hub flip to keep track width as close as possible

Tranham

All

Thanks for the responses. The tranny is a eaton fuller but not sure which model.

Im looking at 2 tires on 3 axles. Don't want to spend any more $. I'm not looking for 70, that would push rpms too high I am looking for more power when hauling when I hit a good hill. I'm not looking to make the truck look cooler with bigger tires. I amthinking losing 1200lbs in tires and the resistance of them would be a good help. Not sure about switching hubs, but sounds easy.

Robert

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider tire load capacity with your loaded trailer.

I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference.

If your driving on pavement all the time, you might try desplined front hubs and removing the front drive shaft.

Radial tires inflated properly helps too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks