• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice please!

admspec

I need a little advice here guys. When I brought my deuce home last week I had a hard time shifting into 4th gear. It will also not downshift AT ALL. When it's running and I let out on the clutch I hear a kind of rattling noise. I've already dropped the tranny yesterday, and I'm waiting for the guy I bought it from to give me a call in about 30 minutes. He said he'll make everything right, and wants to swap the tranny for another one he has. I just want to make sure this will fix the problem, because I'll be a little warm if I get everything back in and it still has the same problem.
Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds to me like the syncros are bad. Swapping another inCOULD fix it. OTOH it could have bad syncros too. If I had the problem you have, this is the route I would take too. Might peek inside the trans and try to compare the syncros.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless there are metal flakies in the oil, or pieces, its hard to tell a good one, from a bad one, by just looking inside. If the oil looks clean in the new one, try it. Trannys can last a long time.

Lee in Alaska

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
while the trans is out CHANGE the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, not much work now that the trans is out. with trans problems, there is a good chance there was a lot of clutch slipping trying to make it shift. if for no other reason, so you know that you have a GOOD clutch when you need it in a had pull... my 2 cents worth

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't agree Rosco, I have a brand new rebuilt unit that had chunks come out of the bottom. Guess the rebuilder was real lazy that day.

admspec

Thanks guys. First thing I did was change the tranny oil. It looked ok. After I drained it again yesterday I looked inside, and didn't see any obvious problems. He says he'll provide another tranny with new throw out bearing, clutch and pressure plate.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with 73m819 on this one. At the very least, pull the pressure plate and clutch and check things out. You've gone this far, might as well do it right. While I had mine out, even though it didn't need it, I changed the rear main seal as well. I don't want to go back and do this again anytime soon, so I did it all.

scrapman

Was this an E bay buy? It seems that this would have shown up on a test drive. Are you following the corect shift pattern? 5th being the top right corner & 4th bottom right corner. Did you double clutch going down to see if that made a change? Unlike lightweight automobile transmissions if your road speed is too high the Spicer will not downshift until roadspeed gets down to the range of the next gear. To down shift like this it would be clutch/nuetral gas it hard/clutch next lower gear. But if your road speed is high enough to require shifting like this you may over rev the motor causing much louder sounds then silence followed by quiet sobbing.:cry: Let us know how the job goes and what the results are.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least he says he is gonna make it right. That's a lot better than you get other places. Let us know how you come out.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't understand, Gimp. Your example shows neglagence, on the part of the so called re-builder. A good used transmission is useable! I'd change the rest of the stuff in there too.

Lee in Alaska

admspec

This wasn't an e-bay buy. I noticed the problem when I test drove it, but the guy said it was probably just the way I was driving it because they had changed the style of clutch since I had been out of the Army (20 years). But on the way home I had a very hard time shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. Sometimes even skipping 4th and going to 5th. I wasn't driving it like a sports car, but when I make a turn and want to down shift from 5th to 4th it will not go. I have to come to an almost complete stop before I can get her in gear again.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
after reading your last post, i think your problem is the clutch
one other thing could cause heard shifting, a spring in the pressure plate weak or broke, this will cause a slight drag when desengaged, making down shifting almost imposible, and up shifting a chore, especially into 4th and 5th

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
they make a puller for the pilot. you can also split one side and collapse it so it will come out easy did the trans go into 1st and rev easily? if clutch problem they will gring since clutch is dragging. a good trans shifts easily in all gears within speed range and will go easily back into 2nd at around 5 mph

tom

BugEyeBear

Any tips for getting the dang pilot bearing out?
I pulled mine out w a Slide Hammer. (Just a CHEAP body work slide hammer from Harbor Fright.)
I "jerry-rigged" a hooked bolt so that it was able to get a firm grip on the back edge of the bearing, then a couple of firm tugs on the sliding weight and out it came!

I had a transmission that wouldn't downshift unless I came to a complete stop. Cause was a bad Pilot Bearing which caused the input shaft to drag on the crankshaft & therefore never allowed the trans input shaft speed to drop.
At first this was diagnosed as being bad synchros, but prior to spending the $$ on a trans rebuild I tried a new pilot bearing and it fixed it! Saved a few $$ over what a trans rebuild would have cost!!

Now I ALWAYS change the pilot bearing and throw out bearing EVERY TIME the trans is out! Cheap insurance!!

GOOD LUCK!

Just keep thinking about how nice it will shift once it is fixed!!

-Bear-

Last edited:

bulldawg

Sounds like the seller is going beyond his responsibility to help you. A seller like that is a great thing to find. You treat him right and he will treat you right.

Mine will down shift fine but will not go into 4th for any amount of suffering:cry: I thought it might be a synchro but my best rpm matching shifts just grind. :?:, any :idea:'s

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks