• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice/questions

tmvance

I'm considering a MV (have to convince the wife first), and I'm wondering where you guys tend to have your vehicles serviced. It's not as though I can pull it into the bay in the Motor Pool and have the mechanics do a service on it.

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At home.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not.

greg burns

tmvance:
If you live in an area of any size you might be able to find a truck garage that has one or more ex-military mechanics on staff. (I'm assuming you are talking about buying a large MV). I found a garage that used to work on MVs that were surplussed to the Forest Service. If I have to take one of my trucks in for work, I try to have all of the relevant TM manual sections printed out for the mechanic or the manuals on CD. I also print out the contact information for the major parts suppliers such as Boyce Equipment, Memphis Equipment, Eastern Surplus, and Erik's military surplus. For the work that you cannot do yourself, be prepared to pay dearly. Around here, the shops charge about $100/hr. You also have to factor in that you are not one of their regular customers on whom they depend for a lot of business. You truck might need to wait days or weeks until your turn comes up. In a couple years of ownership, I'm spent as much on repair work as I did on the purchase of the vehicles. There is a thread worth reading about the true cost of ownership. The cost of getting work done can be a real inspiration for reading the manuals to do as much as you can on your own. Jatonka's website has links to many of the repair manuals.

gungearz

Bottom line is.... If your a millionaire, take it to a designated truck shop to have it "Repaired" and make sure you have a unlimited credit line.... we are here to guide you through your own fixes and mods.... even some of us are millionaires and we enjoy working on our trucks.... that's what this hobby (way of life) is all about.... making friends and helping others.... with a big learning curve... come to the haspin rally next month to see plenty of mv's, meet lots of people and get a feel on what your getting into.... advise you to bring the wife also, my wife hated my hobby until she went to a rally.... now she wants her own truck...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am like you I will not work on some things on my deuce, the biggest one is the 395 super singles split rim tires. Getting too old to heal. Other than that I will try everything else.

DieselBob

I do everything myself except break down tires. I did that a couple of times 35+ years ago and only because I got paid to do it. No garage just in the driveway or backyard. Also it would depend on the MV you are considering. Something along the 1009, 1008, 1028, 1031 are no more than a slightly modified chevy blazer or pickup that any shop can do but the electrical system might give them a headache with the 24V/12V mix. Most of the small to midsize stuff is pretty simple and really shouldn't give a competent mechanic much trouble and with a good set of tools you can do most of the routine service and repair. 2cents

tmvance

Thanks for the input. The only thing I could remotely think of was a Truck Stop like Travel Centers of America, or someplace similar. Upon looking into this I found this site and it's like a haven of information! Thanks so much for all your advice tonight!! I think somethings I'm sure I could do, but if/when something major happens, then it's mechanic time, but no idea where to take it. so, again, you kind folks have addressed my issues and I greatly appreciate the input!!

gungearz

Thanks for the input. The only thing I could remotely think of was a Truck Stop like Travel Centers of America, or someplace similar. Upon looking into this I found this site and it's like a haven of information! Thanks so much for all your advice tonight!! I think somethings I'm sure I could do, but if/when something major happens, then it's mechanic time, but no idea where to take it. so, again, you kind folks have addressed my issues and I greatly appreciate the input!!
And/or you can find ss friends locally to help you through things that may be challenging to you...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks