• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

advice with paint

Camoclad

Want to paint my deuce tan. Is currently painted with 3 color carc. Will tan cover the three color pattern without having to completely strip and re-prime. Could anyone recommend a paint (not CARC) that will look like CARC and still provide good corrosion protection and not be as toxic and expensive also the multiple steps are too complicated for me. How many gals does it take to paint a deuce?

joec

Well you can get paint from Rapco "Gillespie".. www.rapcoparts.com or Aervoe order from Alan 609-953-1003

I am not getting into a this paint sucks discussion. Try either one. I have One truck done with aervoe and one in gillespie and they both look fine a year later. If you prep and prime right you wont have a problem. Plus 1 coat doesn't work. I have 3 coats on one and no fade in the sun with Aervoe. Should take about 2 gallons. Others will disagree my opinion But if you want it to look good .

Joe

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Sherwin Williams Chemical Coatings. They can match the sand CARC color. The sand will cover the green. Just wash the surfaces and roughen up with some 220 grit. Painted my 715 with the SW paint in 1991 and it still looks great.

Jones

There's a Sherwin-Williams CARC data sheet in the library under tech bulletins. It's full of useful info and if I remember, it recommends an HVLP rig with a .070" orifice. CARC is moisture-activated so the more air (read moisture) you fold into it the faster it'll set-up.
I'd also be careful sanding CARC as the dust is bad for you. A stiff-bristled brush and a pressure washer work just fine.
Sanding should be for bare spots that require primer.
CARC primer is mostly to provide an extra layer of CARC protection should the top coat get gouged. Otherwise, any good polyurethane primer will work.

Don't know how Gillespie paints work but i've had Aervoe fade and turn colors on me.
Lots of guys here have personal experience with them and they'd be good to ask.

Camoclad

I have the oportunity to buy actual carc for $75 a Gal is that a good price and would it be any more difficult to apply than regular paint.

USMC6062

I used real CARC from Sherwin Williams, and it was about $65 a gallon straight from them. I used the single component version and really like it. It's easy to work with and easy to spray. It's seems to be very tough paint as far as chipping goes, but it scratches extremely easy. I've asked people who used Gillespie "383" green and they said it's the same way. It's just something that is part of completly flat paint. One thing I like about the CARC is that it's polyurethane which is way superior to the synthetic enamel that all others seem to be.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate dealing with CARC but that's just my opinion. I use Gillespie and have had good results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks