• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advise for the future bobbers!

eldgenb

I have done a bunch both ways, by putting a trailer bed on it I would think that the trailer springs that came with it with little to no load on them would be just fine. Deuce front springs under an unloaded bobber are too harsh imo.

cidrich

I installed an air ride set up from a Freightliner. It was easy to install and rides GREAT! I would recommend it to anyone. I also have air ride seats. It rides like a 3/4 ton pickup. The peterbuilt is probable about the same. I dont know for sure but dirtygrunt looked at mine and desided to go air ride. I have not talked to him about how it went in but it looks pretty close to about the same as the frieghtliner set up. Here are some pictures.:beer:

Attachments

197thhhc

That Pete air-spring setup looks pretty spiffy! How much does that setup cost? That's the beauty of bolting on a chunk of trailer chassis, If I happen to stumble across that air-spring assembly later, it's just as easy to un-bolt the trailer spring section and change it out.
I could just as easily build a triangulated 4-link setup and run just the air bags.
You are exactly right. its nice to see people think things through.

Ridgerunner

cidrick,

What's the story on your wheels? Custome made I assume.

My 16.00 XZL's are on a 10" wide wheel, but I'd like to ditch them and go to a 12" to 14" wide wheel some day.

m816

To cidrich, Would the air ride system work for a five ton? It really looks robust. Is the deuce air compressor enough air for the system?

plym49

I installed an air ride set up from a Freightliner. It was easy to install and rides GREAT! I would recommend it to anyone. I also have air ride seats. It rides like a 3/4 ton pickup. The peterbuilt is probable about the same. I dont know for sure but dirtygrunt looked at mine and desided to go air ride. I have not talked to him about how it went in but it looks pretty close to about the same as the frieghtliner set up. Here are some pictures.:beer:
Man, that sits nice. Good job. I like the idea of the air bag setup, but I have wondered if there is enough articulation. OTR rigs don't need much. How does your truck do in that regard?

cidrich

M816, Yes it would work under a 5 ton. Some time this year I am going to bob my m813 and install the same air ride under it. This is a 24000 lb set up, per freightliners specs. The stock air compressor does just fine. It does take alittle longer for the air pressure to get up because I install an extra air tank on the rear for the air ride. It is just hooked into the truck air system.

Plym49, the articulation isnt bad. The air valve for ride height is in the middle of the axle so as long as it is satisfied it doesnt matter how full each bag is. I dont do alot of off roading with it as it is my daily driver. I have had it off road and have had no problems. But on the road, with air ride seats and the air ride setup it ride just as good as my pickup!

cidrich

Ridgerunner, Yes the wheels are custom made by me. They are 12" wide. They could have been made 14" but they would have let the tire rube the steering box. I took two deuce wheels and cut them up, flipped the centers and put them back together. All of it has been on SS before and thats where I got it from. I also have a saginaw 710 box on mine like yours. I think I looked at you threads before I bobbed and lifted my truck to get some ideas. Thanks!![thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks