• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AF Blue M35

Maverick1701

I did find a very nice Strata Blue truck on the net a couple of weeks ago. It belongs to Graf's collection. He has some very good MV items. It looks to be a earlier M35 gasser. Lower mounted headlights etc. The markings are just about as I remember them in the late 50s-60s, nothing but the basic markings.

ooo i LOVe stata blue MVs

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Finally found the correct yellow for the markings on a strata blue AF truck. It is FS33538 It is covered by MIL-STD-808A. Which is a updated MIL-STD-808 document from December 1960. I Down loaded the A version to verify the data. Info is located near the bottom of the web page listed below..

https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Colors/USAF_Support_Colors.htm

As luck would have it this outfit has FS 33538 in a rattle can............wonderfull. Ordered item just now.

https://www.skygeek.com/skilcraft-l...NUa43s7KBKuL6RJR2JzS9vx7e0kvM7tRoCeA0QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here are a couple of pics of the truck. As you can see there are spots that need touch-up, always are it seems. Also I need to do the undercoating, axle painting, new wipers and new seat covers etc.. I think I have beaten out the cold weather so far as it has been in the upper 40s and 50s lately in the morning. I have a barrel stove in the pole barn that works well but do not feel comfortable starting it up when doing a large paint job.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sweet job. Nice touch on the glove box lock, but are you sure that is a GSA High Security padlock? :? Snuffy will be in that in two shakes if it's only a brass padlock.:mrgreen:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sweet job. Nice touch on the glove box lock, but are you sure that is a GSA High Security padlock? :? Snuffy will be in that in two shakes if it's only a brass padlock.:mrgreen:
You guys are right. Snuffy can get into the glove box in a quick moment. Heck if he has his big brother "cool dude" with him he can start and have the whole truck in less time than it would take him to figure out how the get into the glove box.

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here are some pics from today. This truck as all my stuff is done in a MV "Motor Pool Class" detail. I decided to not do the "FOR OFFICAL USE" marking on the door. Only a very few of the trucks we had in the late 50s had that marking on them and the ones that did were civilian trucks and not tactical trucks. Also decided to call the truck a early 50s truck. As I found the normal early 70s markings on the left side of the frame . I also on the right side of the frame found the REO/Studebaker Marking of "Mxxxxx. Clinto verified the he has seen the early REO/Studebaker marking on some of the 70s trucks he has seen also. In the early 70s the demand (because of VN) was so great for the deuce trucks that many gassers were sent to South Bend to be remanufactured. Not just rebuilt but remanufactured so they got the new VINs on them. Also the frame is just a tiny bit thicker on the early gassers. As it was on the M34 I did a few years ago. The cab I believe was originally made for a M35A1 as they used a torch to cut out for the later M35A2 exhaust pipe.

In the pics you can see a lot of sanding dust on the truck. As today I started to work on the troop seats. The darn old wood is still strong (that old red oak is a tough animal) but in rough shape. Good enough for a few parades a year however. I call my paint jobs a "10 yard paint job" which is a pretty good description I think.

The undercoating that I put on the truck is the same as the post earlier of Graf's truck (with black under coating)). I have a AF blue M37 sitting in storage that has its original blue paint job with the original markings it came with and it has undercoating also. It is marked for the old "Radar Hill" installation that use to be in Rapid City. Most all of our trucks we had in the late 50s on Okinawa were under coated also. They were procured by the AF not other military outfits.

Attachments

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Forgot to mention the yellow markings paint info for you folks wanting to do an AF blue truck. My earlier post about the correct FSN for the yellow is still correct. But when I used it I noticed it is exactly the same color as the recommended Rust-Oleum farm equipment color used for older Marine truck markings. Rust-Oleum paint for old caterpillar equipment. Rust-Oleum number 7449830. I used the Rust-Oleum yellow on a Marine M37 and M274A5 Mule I did and it worked like a charm.

I had to sort of chuckle when I got the FSN yellow. It was packaged by "Skillcraft" and I am sure you older GI's will remember that name as it was on just about all the retractable ball point pens used by the military and government agencies forever....maybe still is.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks real nice! I’m saving some of your pics so I have examples for my truck. I remember the Skillcraft name. It was on just about everything in the system back then. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve got a box or two of the pens somewhere in the pile of stuff.
Forgot to mention the yellow markings paint info for you folks wanting to do an AF blue truck. My earlier post about the correct FSN for the yellow is still correct. But when I used it I noticed it is exactly the same color as the recommended Rust-Oleum farm equipment color used for older Marine truck markings. Rust-Oleum paint for old caterpillar equipment. Rust-Oleum number 7449830. I used the Rust-Oleum yellow on a Marine M37 and M274A5 Mule I did and it worked like a charm.

I had to sort of chuckle when I got the FSN yellow. It was packaged by "Skillcraft" and I am sure you older GI's will remember that name as it was on just about all the retractable ball point pens used by the military and government agencies forever....maybe still is.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Got the troop seats done today. Should be the end of the major painting detail. As I have said there is always touch up you will see the need for in the next couple of months or so. The Rapco paint rattle cans blend in with the gallon can stuff very well and are a easy touch up deal. One has to be creative when moving the troop seats around by yourself, they sure are heavy and hard to manage. Will see if I can find 3 helpers when I put the seats back on the truck.

PS...Painting outside is a easy program here as we very seldom have any bugs to deal with........today we have none at all....advantage I think of being close to a mile high.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure out two ways to put the seats back in the truck by myself. I’ll usually us the tractor and rope to sling them up and then climb up and guide them into place. Once the seats are started, the tractor will take up the load. Option two is used when inside one of the barns. Using block and tackle affixed to the rafters, hook up the seat needing installation and gently raise and lower the seat as needed. Looks real nice!

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Does anyone know where I can get the older decal that was used on most all trucks in the 50-60s that had runway access. It sort of looked like the one pictured below. I have found on the net the current information for the one used today but it is different. The current one has a lot of information that is for aircraft and the old one just addressed the vehicles.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the one you’re looking for. I don’t think I have one but I’ll check my stash. I’ll also poke around some sources. Might find one...
Does anyone know where I can get the older decal that was used on most all trucks in the 50-60s that had runway access. It sort of looked like the one pictured below. I have found on the net the current information for the one used today but it is different. The current one has a lot of information that is for aircraft and the old one just addressed the vehicles.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Pretty much done with the truck. Have to add the remote brake fluid reservoir yet, new seat covers, and de-splined front axel hubs.

As you can see the troop seats are on the truck. Firmed up that the truck will be in the Rapid City parade on veterans day the 11th of November. It will be used by the VFW for some of their troops.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks