• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AFAIK) blowing hydraulic fluid out of reservoir when raising the cab with Air.

Delta-C-2-10

Vehicle: 1996 S&S LMTV 3116 CAT

Issue : (AFAIK) blowing hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir when raising the cab or any Air assisted use.

Items performed and inspected: Zero leaks on any lift cylinders/lines/fittings. The fluid is correct and topped off. Manual lifting NO FLUID comes out of the reservoir. Cab air ride functions without issue.

Publications used: TM 24-p Page 252+ in the parts diagrams as well as TM 20-4 Page 939 schematic of the AFAIK

Thank you in advance for any and all responses and assistance here, I'm always learning from this community!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Vehicle: 1996 S&S LMTV 3116 CAT

Issue : (AFAIK) blowing hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir when raising the cab or any Air assisted use.

Items performed and inspected: Zero leaks on any lift cylinders/lines/fittings. The fluid is correct and topped off. Manual lifting NO FLUID comes out of the reservoir. Cab air ride functions without issue.

Publications used: TM 24-p Page 252+ in the parts diagrams as well as TM 20-4 Page 939 schematic of the AFAIK

Thank you in advance for any and all responses and assistance here, I'm always learning from this community!
Is your leak up behind the cab - blowing a mist?

Ronmar

if you do not have the metal cover that sits over this unit... water will make its way into the reservoir thru the copper breather. Over fills it.. eventually does not work well (more water than oil) and starts rusting things. Look out for that.
Geo that porus breather is the air outlet muffler from the air piston exhaust. When the piston seals start leaking it starts to let oil from the hydraulic side to the air side and that is when you start to get oil mist spray It is a dead end for water going in as any tgat does will beblown back out with the first piston stroke...

The reservoir breather is part of the dipstick.

So to the OP, where exactly is the oil coming from and in what form? Blowing mist? Time for a pump overhaul...

coachgeo

Geo .... When the piston seals start leaking it starts to let oil from the hydraulic side to the air side and that is when you start to get oil mist spray It is a dead end for water going in as any tgat does will beblown back out with the first piston stroke...

So to the OP, where exactly is the oil coming from and in what form? Blowing mist? Time for a pump overhaul...
hmmm.... guess misunderstood previous discussions where this was mentioned. Then again..... if it has seals leaking mentioned between hydraulic side and air side... ??? would that let water pass?

Delta-C-2-10

Geo that porus breather is the air outlet muffler from the air piston exhaust. When the piston seals start leaking it starts to let oil from the hydraulic side to the air side and that is when you start to get oil mist spray It is a dead end for water going in as any tgat does will beblown back out with the first piston stroke...

So to the OP, where exactly is the oil coming from, and in what form? Blowing mist? Time for a pump overhaul...
Haven't looked under the cover where the rez is but will shortly! the fluid is coming from the rez. The cab latch has been rebuilt and the only leaks are when using air assisted from the rez.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You likely need to rebuild the pump. It's easy to do - took me a few hours. Primarily it's just one seal in there that crumbles apart and the rest just shrink. The pieces from that one seal tend to block up passages. In my case (2008 A1R) the pieces of seal had caused a situation where the pump would pop it's own internal pressure relief and just stop providing pressure. After cleaning and replacement of seals it works perfectly again. It did take quite a bit of operation for it to prime itself.

Delta-C-2-10

Thank you all for the responses.

I do contract work and was out of the net for a bit but I am back, I double-checked today by removing the top cover plate off the reservoir. The brass muffler is where the oil is spraying from. So yall believe its the pump internally that needs to be rebuilt? I have rebuilt the cab latch and one cylinder for the cab already as well.

Is there a rebuild kit from somewhere I can a part number for?

Again thank you all for the positive input.

coachgeo

Thank you all for the responses.

I do contract work and was out of the net for a bit but I am back, I double-checked today by removing the top cover plate off the reservoir. The brass muffler is where the oil is spraying from. So yall believe its the pump internally that needs to be rebuilt? I have rebuilt the cab latch and one cylinder for the cab already as well.

Is there a rebuild kit from somewhere I can a part number for?

Again thank you all for the positive input.
There is a couple threads in here on rebuild kits and rebuilding them. Also videos on youtube

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I broke the pump down and found a seal that pretty much looked like the Colt video above, Trying to source the rebuild kit now. TY ALL!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks