• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Afghanistan M1009

ssdvc

OK, I have been looking for this thing for almost two months. I thought I saw her when I first arrived, but then thought I may have been mistaken. Well, low and behold, I was cruzin around Warrior today and BAM ! I saw her. She is beat up good and the famous dust here has made it's way into everything. Seats looked comfy enough but there was a lot of wire poking out from under the dash. Still looks like she gets around.

Looked around for a body to talk with, but no one home. I was going to see about swapping my TATA pickup for that beauty for a few days.

Here she is, in her dust covered glory and still in service !!!!

IMG_1235.jpgIMG_1236.jpgIMG_1237.jpgIMG_1238.jpgIMG_1239.jpgIMG_1240.jpg

Nice to see a friendly face in country ! I think it's awesome.

Cheers

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must have gotten her too excited like a little puppy. Looks like she peed on the floor when she saw you :D

ke5eua

Is that a car stereo on the dash or aircraft?

Reminds me of when our FSR "found" our 1009 my last deployment in Iraq. We didn't ask questions, especially when he somehow managed to get us a new crated engine for it, we just drove it.

cucvrus

That is an awesome find. Bring it home with you. I think you have one almost like that in my barn. I like the no rust on that one. It seems to have the correct patina. The black stripes on the hood not so nifty. Unlesss you are trying to pass as Speed Racer. Take care over there and be careful. Thank you for sharing the photos. I just posted a few for your viewing pleasure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by the racing stripes and such, that is likely somebody's personal (as it gets) runabout. Probably have to use rank to get it.

ssdvc

Judging by the racing stripes and such, that is likely somebody's personal (as it gets) runabout. Probably have to use rank to get it.
Well, actually, you should see some of the "Gun Trucks":cool: we have here. Regular pickups that are painted out with whatever and yeah, some with stripes. I guess it scares the bad guys. Add some plates here and there, a pintle mount in the bed for something special and you're ready to rock and roll. **** we even have one around here painted a really dusty pink color. Someone has a good sense of humor.

cucvrus

OK I hope you do also. I painted the M1009 in the center bay RED on one side for the MADD group and the other side bright pink for save the TA TA's I hope you like it. :)

Al Harvey

Well, actually, you should see some of the "Gun Trucks":cool: we have here. Regular pickups that are painted out with whatever and yeah, some with stripes. I guess it scares the bad guys. Add some plates here and there, a pintle mount in the bed for something special and you're ready to rock and roll. **** we even have one around here painted a really dusty pink color. Someone has a good sense of humor.
Reminds me of the "A-Team" van that was running around Warrior in Iraq. We also had an M1010 that the box was cut off and HMMWV wheels/tires, it was used as a maintenance truck.

Mg84648

It's amazing. A vehicle which was considered a quick stop gap measure back in 1984 is still serving our county in combat 31 years later. Thanks for sharing and be safe.

Foxtrot Oscar

... we even have one around here painted a really dusty pink color. Someone has a good sense of humor.
Hi. Apparently the pink colour is a highly effective camoflage in desert/sand environments. The British SAS used cut-down Land-Rovers as patrol vehicles, known as "Pink Panthers' due to them being painted... Pink.
Thanks for your service.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder who sent that M1009 over there. When I went in '05 we had very tight restrictions on which vehicles we could send from USAREUR. It cost a lot more to ship a vehicle to A-stan than Iraq.

The sad fact is, unless someone goes to a lot of trouble to get that M1009 back to the US, it'll likely be handed over to the Afghanis. Or scrapped. There's a VERY slim chance any decision maker will consider it cost effective to send home.:(

Last edited:

ssdvc

I wonder who sent that M1009 over there. When I went in '05 we had very tight restrictions on which vehicles we could send from USAREUR. It cost a lot more to ship a vehicle to A-stan than Iraq.

The sad fact is, unless someone goes to a lot of trouble to get that M1009 back to the US, it'll likely be handed over to the Afghanis. Or scrapped. There's a VERY slim chance any decision maker will consider it cost effective to send home.:(
They are already whittling down the vehicle pool and they will not be shipping back ANYTHING except combat vehicles like the MRAP's. ****, they are even cutting some of those up for scrap. DLA has quite the operation going !

The Afghans (hate to correct you, but Afghanis is the money) will be getting a bunch of things, but generic vehicles ain't one of them.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are already whittling down the vehicle pool and they will not be shipping back ANYTHING except combat vehicles like the MRAP's. ****, they are even cutting some of those up for scrap. DLA has quite the operation going !

The Afghans (hate to correct you, but Afghanis is the money) will be getting a bunch of things, but generic vehicles ain't one of them.
Sure, except both terms are now used interchangeably. I'm not an Afghani, so I'm fine with using the term Afghani to refer to Afghanis.

Afghani

1. A citizen or native of Afghanistan. From an Afghan point of view this name is wrongly being used for Afghans. After the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan millions of Afghans took refuge in neighboring Pakistan. The Pakistanis and the international aid agencies coined this word to speak of Pakistanis versus the Afghans[SUP]2[/SUP].
  2. (usually lowercase) A monetary currency used in Afghanistan, divided into 100 pul.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks