• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

African CUCV smoke trouble

chillin_in_bots

Hi Guys,
This is officially my first post, as I've been lurking in the shadows taking all the advice on restoring my first M1008.
It's been a long process of putting the vehicle back together as we have never had any of these trucks availalbe locally, so parts are scarce and 6.2 knowledge is very limited this side of the world! Thanks so much for all the help thus far!
The truck is finally reaching the stage where I can drive it.. although I'm nervous to attempt it without some advice from the more informed! The truck starts right up but there is a continuous cloud of white smoke (Unburnt Diesel by the smell and burning of my eyes) The smoke persists right up untill it is warm and has yet to go away. I've heard horror stories of diesels overfueling and tearing apart pistons... thus my cautiousness towards taking it for a spin!

My list of upgrades and service parts changed:
12v conversion + starter
New fuel lines throughout
Electric fuel pump running in series to mechanical lift pump
K&N Airfilter
New stock filter + inline one by tank
2nd stock fuel tank fitted under passanger side, auxillary pump linking 2 tanks
All old fuel removed and tanks cleaned.
Injectors removed, cleaned and spray atomising confirmed correct
Injector pump timing still sitting on the stock markings
Return check valve ball removed due to truck stalling and no power- fixed problem.
New radiator hoses + Belts etc.
700r4 getting bolted in as I type this.
285/75/16 Cooper discoverer STT tires on stock wheels

I've been working on the truck since May 2008 and can definitly say the MV bug has bitten me. The local law prohibits military colours on civilian vehicles so it's been given a complete color change to white... and dare I say racing stripes. Truck is looking awesome after lots and lots of hours... just the last problem with the smoking.

Could it possibly be the Injector pump giving up the ghost? Time for a rebuild?
Brief history- EX US Military from base in Holland. Bought by Botswana Defence force early 1990's... been very neglected since then!

Thanks guys for all the help... hope to be more involved in the forum now that I got my 2cents to put in! :-D

AJMBLAZER

Welcome to SS. Sounds like you've definitely gotten a good start on it!

Random question but did you order the 700R4 online or something or was it available locally? I know Chevy used to (still does?) sell some of their American market vehicles in South Africa.

chillin_in_bots

Yeah, I managed to find a used one in South Africa. And then had it rebuilt.
Sadly they stopped the LHD scene in the early 90's... legislation was passed because it was deemed unsafe to be used in a RHD country. People still bringing in engines and parts mainly aimed at the racing scene. Here in Botswana we still lucky to have the joys of real Trucks and cars... gotta love the american way of doing things!

Another point i forgot to mention.. truck has been standing for a good 15 years prior to my rescue. Could this be the cause of the smoke? Maybe it just needs a good run on the freeway?

Heres some early stage pics: Very sad looking truck. Will post latest ones tomorrow.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Looks like it's all there at least.

Your English is very good. Actually, it's very good American English. Expatriot or educated in the States?

appalacious

ever thought about water in the fuel?

I always thought white smoke meant that.
of course, if you drained the tanks, thats probably not it.
How humid is it in Botswana?

J

chillin_in_bots

Born and educated in South Africa, Family all of Zimbabwean origin... now an expatriate in Botswana... Southern Africa just seems to be home! :-D
Never been to the states... yet! Hope to do a trip this year!

Smoke not seem to be water... very distinct diesel smell and enough of it to make eyes water!

chillin_in_bots

Sorry missed last part to your reply... Virtually no humidity at all here. Bordering on the Kalahari Desert here. Average temps for summer between 35 and 40 degrees Celsius. Don't think there'll be enough condensation to cause white smoke...
Is it worth trying to advance IP enough to try clear up smoke?

AJMBLAZER

Ah, Rhodesian. Guess I'm too used to talking to Aussies, Kiwis, and Pomgolians.

Just a heads up but www.ColoradoK5.com is another site dedicated to this sort of GM truck. Several good diesel mechs over there. There's good guys here too but we seem to be slow this morning.

appalacious

I'm not recommending this, because I have no idea what it would do (bad, good, or otherwise) but I've heard an old mechanic's tale how putting a little 2 cycle engine oil in the fuel will free up stuck rings in a hurry.

J

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welome to the website.

This pretty much makes it official that we have folks on every inhabited continent.

When you get a chance, post the serial numbers on the VIN info thread.

Too bad about the camo colors having to be painted over. Was tan an option?

chillin_in_bots

I'm not recommending this, because I have no idea what it would do (bad, good, or otherwise) but I've heard an old mechanic's tale how putting a little 2 cycle engine oil in the fuel will free up stuck rings in a hurry.

J
Thanks for the idea, although not seem to be oil being burnt. Oil level not dropped, not a blue smoke either. also seems to be plenty of compression when cranking. I'll try see if i can find any more info on the idea of 2 stroke oil in the fuel...

Thanks again

chillin_in_bots

Here some pics of the final product...
Military colours not allowed in most African countries due to obvious reasons...
Started out white... but then got the stripes that add at least 100hp and 100mph :wink:
Interior all stock just recovered or repainted.
Dash, steering wheel, sun visors, arm rests done in leather.
Seat done in black with red stitching.

Smoke can be seen in the 1 picture...

Thanks again for all the help... really is a friendly and informative site!

Attachments

Capt.Marion

A good run on the interstate may be good, to burn any residue out of the exhaust system. Especially if it seems to be running even and no lack of power.

scooter01922

Very nice job on that truck, i'm no help on your issue unfortunately :-( No experience on the 6.2 whatsoever. But from prior experience with diesels there are only so many things to go wrong. Its white smoke so it isn't lack of air or too much fuel. Only things that come to mind are timing or poor compression. Hope someone can chime in and help you figure this out, seems the vast majority of responses happen between 6-12 Estern standard time. So hang in there and i'm sure that someone can help.

maritimer

well check your air supply, fuel metering screw inside IP, i would also look at your timing and do a presure test on the coolant system, whitish smoke is often a symptom of blown head gaskets. besides here, coloradok5.com theres also, www.thedieselplace.com under the forum heading 6.2l diesel maybe run a couple of fuel system cleaners through the lines or possibly ATF