• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

African Queen to go on Display at the National Museum of The US Air Force

1943ht

Confirmed today, we are heading to the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton OH in October. The Queen will be on display in the WWII Area alongside some famous aircraft like the Memphis Bell, Bocks Car etc. for a 6 month period.

Display starting at the end of OCT, (Which will give enough me to get her drivetrain together :D) and running into the April timeframe. The museum team will be visiting here on the 8th of October to view the Queen in all of her glory and to make any final adjustments to what we will be bringing for the display. We are including the M-10 Ammo Trailer as part of the display along with extra Tombstone ammo cans.

The display should include mannequin's dressed in period uniforms loading ammo cans off the back of the trailer, one along side the track with binos scanning the skies and a forth mannequin loading the weapons on the turret.

This is an incredible opportunity for our nonprofit, as the museum has hundreds of thousands of visitors annually which should provide us excellent visibility regards our mission, fund raising etc..

In addition we have an hour video produced in support of halftrack history, manufacturing and combat footage in the ETO with sound added by one of Sony Pictures best technicians. This is a project i was involved with when I was recovering in the Wounded Warrior Unit at Ft Benning GA. Never thought it might be viewed in the theater!

I will continue to provide updates and pics as we progress with this project.

Mark

1943ht

It is great publicity for all restorers and presevation/conservationist out there who do what we do. Much of it done out of pocket with no real financial assistance but done with a love of preserving history and understanding families ;) . Making sure that the recovery, conservation and preservation work/story gets told during our time at the museum. Its all about commitment which is why we are making his project happen!

Markus

1943ht

We arrived in style at the National Museum of the US Air Force on Wednesday and we are standing tall and looking good!!

Some pics with a YouTube link of video to follow. Had a great team from the museum supporting the move and setup and they handled the Queen with excellent care on the ride up to Dayton OH. I unloaded and drove her into her place in the museum and she ran like the class act that she is!!

NMA3.png
NMA44.png
NMA66.png
NMA4.png
NMA7.jpg
NMA9.jpg

Attachments

1943ht

As a caveat, The director of the museum pointed out that he was thrilled that the Airforce was getting to show her off before the new National Museum of the Army (Opened 11 Nov 20) got an opportunity. The thing is I contacted the new museum as I have been a contributor and offered them the opportunity. Never heard a thing back from them. Maybe now I might get a little traction with that scenario :eek: These directors talk with each other regards new and unique displays ..go figure!

jasonjc

As a caveat, The director of the museum pointed out that he was thrilled that the Airforce was getting to show her off before the new National Museum of the Army (Opened 11 Nov 20) got an opportunity. The thing is I contacted the new museum as I have been a contributor and offered them the opportunity. Never heard a thing back from them. Maybe now I might get a little traction with that scenario :eek: These directors talk with each other regards new and unique displays ..go figure!

It not that far off for it to be at the Air Force museum. My dad used one to patrol the air field perimeter during the Korean war. He was an MP in the Air Force.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
For all the Service use by different Countries and having been in continued outdoor commission the unit looks to be in extraordinary condition. And if not for Mark's curiosity the Half would still be at Sentry Duty in another part of the World.

:goodjob::clinto::naner::driver::tank:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks