• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

After losing a wheel and almost my life...

epartsman

Mike, Not to be a wise a$$, but did you go over your truck since blowing a rear tire on the freeway? Still got those old tires on it? You cannot just throw plates on these old trucks and hammer them down the highway witthout risking disaster. It's good to hear you didn't get hurt, but that could have gone really bad. Hitting the guard rail probably saved you from rolling it-REALLY BAD. I strongly urge you to have your truck gone over by a reputable front end/suspension shop before running it at highway speeds again or making any large tire/rim modifacations. Have them install a steering dampiner, or two that matches the size and weight of tires you plan on puting on it. good brand name gas shocks will add stability also. If it get's costly, throw those crated axles you were offered in it. Get your truck fixed so you can enjoy it. Crashing it is no fun. Good luck, WCP.
I second this!!!! Never drive a CUCV fresh from the military or from another owner without first doing a total PM service. So many people think that just because some of these had low mileage (actually odo may have rolled over a time or two) that they can drive these almost 30 yr old vehicles like they just came off of the showroom floor. So far I have spent 1K on PM and wear item replacements on mine with 23K documented. Rubber rots, Fluids deteriorate, Hubs get water in the just from sitting, etc. If you off road or do any kind of fording plan on repacking bearings, inspecting hubs, etc. Be safe, PM!

Cletus09

This is why properly torqued lug nuts are so cruicial. To many people just "crank em tight" or "tighten them with the impact" Both are HORRIBLY WRONG. ALWAYS use a torque wrench and the proper sequence to tighten them to spec. The 80's style chevy 1/2 tons had a problem with weak wheel studs as it is and not treating them right only amplifies the issue.
125 ft/lbs for civy stock blazer I believe...

Probably means I should stop loading the firewood trailer before the pads hit the axles?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks