• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

after manually priming, truck starts, then dies

Barneyszoo

Glad i found this thred. started having the same prob with my 813. don't have a selector valve or second tank, so gonna check the line going from the filter to the ip. Thanks guys.

scootertrs

It's funny how sometimes, no matter how many TM's and PM's you dissect, that sitting around with a bunch of guys that have similar equipment and are sharing your woes, that someone else inevitably has had, if not exactly the same problem, one so similar that you would swear it was on the same truck. This reminds me of a time when several mechanics on break would sit around talking about the headache of the day and women (sometimes the one and the same) and someone in the group had dealt with a similar situation 1 week, month, year ago and knew exactly how to fix it or point you in the right direction. I see this as one of the greatest assets of this hobby... this site... one great big coffee room/brain trust!!!
Found 2 rotting fuel lines in my 818 ... going for all...
Thanks you all.

Yohan

Agreed. That's the comaraderie one doesn't get from a TM and half the fun of the hobby for me. The TM's are useful, but I think some attitudes could reduce this site to two sections: "READ THE TM" (for anyone who asks something) and "YO, WHAT'S UP?" (for everything else).

I'm reading the TM's for a new truck I'm getting, but find myself sending PM's or emails to people who aren't hostile when I have a question. Kind of sad, but it's better than living in a bunker with my TM's like a hermit, "enjoying" my hobby. :mrgreen:

And this still is a great site for which I am thankful!

Last edited:

scootertrs

Ditto... and on top of that, when the TM's were issued, several "educational" training sessions accompanied the issuance (with the exception being the comic book... reminders) during which most if not all of the crucial details of the manuals are brought to light... (normal people light) I can read a manual, but many, many times finding a particular problem seems impossible... or the solutions work when you have a store room of green parts for swapping. I have searched for the particular start, stop, long restart problem in the tm and the best I can come up with is loss of fuel pressure, bad switchover valve, clogged ip, etc. etc.... could also be clogged vent, etc. But it is comforting to discuss the problem with other shade tree wrenches that do not have the federal budget at their disposal and are facing a similar problem to yours. I, for one, am extremely grateful for the help I have received from the members of this site and promise that I will act in the same fashion if called upon to help. Thanks again

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, for one, am extremely grateful for the help I have received from the members of this site and promise that I will act in the same fashion if called upon to help. Thanks again
Well maybe you can help. My eyes are turning from blue to OD in color and it appears that my BM is turning OD too. Should I be concerned?

scootertrs

Having gone through a heck of a stomach virus this week... best advise I can provide is.... do not try to pass gas... not even an sbd (that stands for silent but deadly... for those untrained in the art) ... see, I was quite surprised when I found that the particular sbd was bringing "company"... it was a LOOOOONG ride home.... :roll:

paradeduty

Hey guys - sounds like this group might be a little more receptive to a question or two. In our effort to hopefully consolidate our/my MV collection to the ones that we most probably will have the time for instead of just looking at them - the wife and I have decided that we (90% sure) will keep the M45A2C w/ Van Body, the "Day Camper" as I call it (i.e. converted w/ couches and table/chairs but no bed or bath facilities). My point - it's a 1968 and although it has low miles, I have always wanted to dig into it and replace much of the wiring. Percieved Problem - the van body does not have much if any access to the wiring that is buried in the ceiling and wall panels. Anyone ever dealt with any of these van bodies?? Any suggestions?? It's in really good shape and I hate to start tearing into the thing without reason. Thanks, Dave.

Yohan

Here's a suggestion... READ THE TM'S!!!!! JUST KIDDING! (Though reading them is not to be discounted for any TM Police that may be lurking!)

Wish I could help, but electrical problems are not my forte. I have a John Deere LA that had a light that was really dim, then went out. I cleaned the ground to it and that fixed it. I'm sure this doesn't help you much, but info from other members here and in other posts, I believe grounding is one of the most prevelant culprits with electrical problems. There is a good article in one of the past Military Vehicles Magazines that covers grounds in veh. electrical systems. Hopefully someone here has ran into your problem and will chime in!

paradeduty

Ya, I pretty much understand the "bad ground" problem, thanks. I had a similar issue w/ every single clearance light (over 20) on my enclosed car trailer! I think my problem is going to be dry rotted/cracked wiring inside the roof and wall panels from simply the passage of time and, being a van body, sitting outside almost all of it's life taking in the sun! She's no spring chicken at 43 years old. I would wager that the military probably figures that the wiring should be good for 25 years which I think is the life expectancy of the average truck. After that they don't really care, so why make it "maintainable". Just wondering if there was any "tricks" on these van bodies for replacing the wire/cable as a whole. Thanks though, Dave.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having gone through a heck of a stomach virus this week... best advise I can provide is.... do not try to pass gas... not even an sbd (that stands for silent but deadly... for those untrained in the art) ... see, I was quite surprised when I found that the particular sbd was bringing "company"... it was a LOOOOONG ride home.... :roll:
rofl
Ah, yes, flatulence. The world's funniest bodily function[thumbzup] And the "shart"...the world's most riskiest.

I, for one, will research the written/printed resource prior to asking a technical question here. However, I also feel that putting a "fix-it" or maintenance issue out in open forum may help a newer member deal with a nagging issue that they may not be comfortable asking about for fear that they get shot down with the biting "Read The TM!" response.

This forum is a brotherhood of folks that dare to tame the cantankerous beast that is the MV. We help each other out...that's how ya' do it, son. Most of us here have been or are still in the military. PMCS is way of life for any GI who operate(d) a vehicle and PMCS was always carried out in my unit on a crew level. Everyone helped out. I never remember my Platoon Sgt. or Tank Commander say "Read The TM!" if there was a problem. We all dove into :grd:

In short, the TM is an outstanding resource. I refer to mine constantly. However, if I can lend a helping hand by my experience, well, by gosh, I will continue to do that. Remember, a stupid question is the one never asked.

That's my 2cents. Out.

Last edited: