• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Gears

DriveTime

I searched to see if this had already been posted and didn't find anything, so I am sorry if this is a repost. This company makes some pretty interesting stuff, most notably the 5.41 gears for 2.5 tons. Pricey, but there are options available.

I am not associated with these people or trying to pimp their stuff, just ran across it on Pirate and thought you guys might be interested.

Gearhart Engineering

rivired

Ya my deuce doesnt got the balls to pull a hill at highway speeds with 671s so i cant imagine how slow it would be with those....

And of courseee..a Perfect example of our oddball hobby getting TOTALLY Ripped off for the toys we want to put on our trucks.

grounded

Banned
well $2200 for a axle is high priced for this hobby. but i wouldnt call it ripping off. When these gears are designed for the offroad builder guys. $2200 for this is chump change when you are talking 60-80k rigs that have $10k+++ in ONE AXLE!!!

most likely it wasnt figured in for the guys that want to keep these axles under the stock setups.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some of the guys here put a brownie box in the drive line and it worked well. I think that would be a good way to go cheap. I also like the 5ton motor and bigger tires too. :wink::roll:

JasonS

That should be an easy gear set to make. I can't see $2200 when hypoid gears are nearly an order of magnitude less and more difficult to manufacture. I also can't fathom what could be so novel about their gear set that it could be patent pending. Of course, a patent isn't worth the paper it's printed on unless it can be defended. I don't suppose anyone here is a patent attourney?

rivired

well $2200 for a axle is high priced for this hobby. but i wouldnt call it ripping off. When these gears are designed for the offroad builder guys. $2200 for this is chump change when you are talking 60-80k rigs that have $10k+++ in ONE AXLE!!!

most likely it wasnt figured in for the guys that want to keep these axles under the stock setups.

Ya..i suppose...but the REAL offroad builders or rock crawler guys would never use a rockwell.. they would use scalloped danas and ford 9 inches,high pinions..

And the conventional ring and pinions for said axles cost a fraction of what these ones were talking about do..even the name brands.

The ones i bought for a Dana HP44 for a project cost 120$ for superior gear brand.

DriveTime

Ya..i suppose...but the REAL offroad builders or rock crawler guys would never use a rockwell.. they would use scalloped danas and ford 9 inches,high pinions..

Sorry bud, you're wrong there. While comp rigs may not use Rockwells, there are tons of them out there in the off road world.

grounded

Banned
yea alot of axles can be built for less. but Dynatracs can get rather costly. its like anything to each his own of whats best. to me i cant see more then a couple hundred on a axle

rivired

I know,i was referring to the statement i quoted and the guys out there with 10 grand plus in each axle like the guy sed ,are not using rockwells..

Sure there are plenty of every day off road enthusiast such as myself and the mudtruck guys that run Rocks.. but my whole statement was relative to the outrageous price of the "aftermarket gears"

tm america

we.re doing a baja truck at work the ring and pinion was 950 for a 9 inch ford and believe me thats nowhere near as complex as a 2.5 ton rockwell.i bet just the third member for that truck is in the 3500 dollar area . so to me a gear that had to be designed from scratch for a truck that is 13000 to 20000lbs and is gonna get used and abused 2200 is not that bad

JasonS

we.re doing a baja truck at work the ring and pinion was 950 for a 9 inch ford and believe me thats nowhere near as complex as a 2.5 ton rockwell.i bet just the third member for that truck is in the 3500 dollar area . so to me a gear that had to be designed from scratch for a truck that is 13000 to 20000lbs and is gonna get used and abused 2200 is not that bad
Rockwell already had a higher speed gearset designed. In fact, someone on this site had a copy of the drawings for it. The secondary reduction gears on a rockwell are going to be a lot easier to manufacture than a 9 inch ford.