• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Receiver Hitches

frontiersman

I am sure people have done this, but is there a particular brand or type made for the M1008 or M1028 that is at least Class III/IV and fairly easy to install? I looked at the Reese site, but got kinda confused lol.

motorolanut

RE: Aftermarhet Receiver Hitches

Standard Chevy 2500 class III or IV hitches will fit. Check JC Whitney, or Northern Tool, Just compare the year of your CUCV through 86 to thier charts. Most likely you will be drilling six holes in the frame for the bolts. If you don't want the hassels go to a Uhaul rental center, some sell and install hitches for a modest fee. :)

acetomatoco

In my case, the big support brackets for the rear tow bumper had to be modified to fit a civvy class 4 hitch..but hot wrench and a little welding rod fixed it good.

JohnFire

Our fire station put one on our M1028 from Putnam. We had to cut the additional support plates from the tow eyes to fit it. It was a bolt up setup that matched the rest of the existing holes. Real snug under the bumper. With the tight fit we also used a bottle jack to push the hitch into place and a little weight on the tailgate. Popped right into place.

Somemedic

Picked mine up off of ebay. i dont remember the years but it fits blazers and pick ups from the 80's. Used grade8 bolts and nuts and had to remove the bumper supports and tie downs (some of it, not all) but didnt have to drill a single hole. $15 + shipping, might try a local pick and pull.

Michael

Somewhere on here or on the old MilVeh mailing list I have read were someone put one on without removing any of the extra supports that CUCVs have. You might want to search for the info. Or like others have said, any hitch made for a civi truck will fit if you remove the extra bracing.

There is a big hitch place in Memphis, TN that can custom make any hitch you want if you want to go that far.

acetomatoco

I elected to keep the extra stock bumper bracing so the little cutting and fitting was necessary..as I use the pintle and the original bumper for the safety chains....etc

AJMBLAZER

I think I'm the guy Michael was referring to. My father-in-law and I made one for my 1008 so I could retain all of the military stuff like ace said.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=12292&highlight=hitch
I wrote a bit about it here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/364830/2

If you want the hitch more than the military pintle and D-rings you can just remove them and install any Class III and up hitch meant for a 73-91 GM 1 ton truck. If the military stuff is important and you want to keep it then you have to start cutting, welding, and modifying.