• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket temp gauge?

colelkhunter

So after replacing the thermostat on the 931's NHC 250 and having zero results, the problem has been the gauge or sending unit all along. Temps read with a laser thermometer have not exceeded 150 degrees on several locations on the engine and radiator. After searching here and reading up on the topic, it seems this is a common problem. I have also seen aftermarket gauges installed on builds and engine swaps, but not a topic discussing it. I was also not able to find anything related to this in the Tm's:grin: Those of you who have done it, what have you had success with? Was it a PITA? I am planning an autometer temp,trans temp.EGT and oil pressure. I plan to drive the truck on camping trips and these are the most important vitals that I want an accurate reading on. I plan to use mechanical gauges so no worries with the 24v except with the EGT i think.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A mechanical water temp gauge will most likely require a deep well for the sensor.

I have replaced quite a few(owning a dozen or more trucks)stock gauges and or sending units.

I have never had any of the new replacements fail.

Diagnosing your problem, is not hard to do(covered in the -20 TMs).

Fwiw, I would just replace with stock items.

colelkhunter

I have not priced any of the stock replacement parts as of yet, but it seems I will also need a trans temp sending unit or gauge as well as the coolant temp. Both are available locally in an autometer brand for 39.00 Thanks for the info on the deep sensor. i think that may make a difference in getting the right sensor.

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my sender failed I went to Napa and asked for a Stewart Warner mechanical temperature gauge. I did not need the deep sensor well for it. It works great but the tube going out to the sensor is a little short and I couldn't route it the way I wanted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks