• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Age & make of 5 ton

m139h2otruck

Have had a hard time determining what year (& make) the new Mack powered tractor is. The data plates have been replaced and some are even blank aluminum. Sanded off the front axle pumpkin under the tag to see if there is a date stamp. Only thing showing is "2669 NK 2", with the NK struck over each other. The tag is bare with "3285-3059" stamped into it. Anyone have any ideas?

acetomatoco

Well, if it is in fact a Mack ENDT 673 powered 5 ton M Series, it will predate the Multifuels... It should be a M52A1. I have had a couple.. They made a full range of them...M54A1 etc.... I am guess in the late 60s... Try for a date on the other diffs..... That could be a clue

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the Mack powered 5-tons I have seen were built by Kaiser-Jeep, and were from '66 to '68 in year. At least 10 trucks in that discovery, 3 of mine included.

Military repowers notwithstanding, as anything goes there.

dg

m139h2otruck

Truck does have rebuild tags on the engine and turbo dated 1989. Mileage shows about 13,000 miles, which I assume is since the 1989 rebuild. Frame rail on right side is factory cut to clear air and hydraulic pumps which was only done on the Mack powered trucks. Trans is OD unit and I think is original, as the syncros are a little sticky on the up shift.

m139h2otruck

I know this is an older post, but I found more #s on the rear ends. The rear rear is dated Sept 67, and the front rear is marked May 68. The number on the front end now makes sense, as Feb 69. So, based on the above dates, the truck was made in 1969 or had the rears switched around and I have no idea of its age. There is no numbers on the front left frame rail that I can see, even after scraping off the black rustproofing. The data plates are all messed up, and the ID # is 643330 with no make noted.

When did the multies show up? Was there any overlap in production (Mack vs multi)?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am pretty sure that this is covered in my "Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles, second edition". I'm on the road at the moment and don't have one with me - but someone else in the group could probably look it up for you in the G-744 section of the book.

HTH,
David Doyle

m139h2otruck

DDoyle, not to bother you, but were you ever able to confirm the build dates of the Mack powered trucks? Thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
According to Mack records, here is the info:

M51 - 1952-54 4310 built
M52 - 1952-56 1443 built
M54 - 1954-56 1126 built
M55 - 1956 - 85 built
M61 - 1953 - 107 built

All of the above were built with the R6602

From early 1960 until 1963 Mack and Diamond T converted some M51 and M54A1 to ENDT power, which added the A1 suffix. No quantities listed in Mack records.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

m139h2otruck

So, were any of the ENDT-673 powered trucks built from the ground up or were all of them re-built through the factories and given new A1 numbers?

The frame top flange cutout on the right side of the engine looks to be factory cut, not cut with a torch. I would assume that the cut would have been done prior to frame fabrication.
Thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
According to Mack, they did not build any of the trucks with the ENDT factory installed. Diamond T or International may have. I am sorting through IH records slowly. Unfortunately, it appears that the Diamond T records were destroyed. Who built your truck?

Regards,
David

Pinkie

my m35a2 is a 1966 model and the numbers are on the right frame rail right in front of the shock mount, I hope this info helps...

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here is what I found:

2320000867479 M52A1 SN: 643330 REG#: 5D0651 1963

I can find no other record other than it was last owned by the Arizona National Guard property manager.

The manufacture CAGE Code is 01760. You should be able to look that up on the internet someplace.

Hope that helps.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am not real up on the history of the CAGE code system, but from what I see here, I suspect that numbers are reused.

CAGE 01760 shows to be the inactive CAGE code for the Henry Co of Los Angeles, and this number was established in 1974.

Probably need to look through a 20P or 35P from an earlier time, a lot of them IIRC have a CAGE supplier crossreference in the back.

FWIW - 643330 does not LOOK like a Mack SN.

HTH,
DD

Big_S

I think the M52A1 with s/n 643330 is a Diamond T machine. I have three more at my list with neer by numbers.

Regards

Big_S

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks