• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Age/years for 5 tons

m139h2otruck

I know DDoyle is an expert on the deuce trucks and can pinpoint a year fairly close, but how about the 5 tons? Our new M52A1 and the M812A1 both don't have any year of manufacture on the data plates and the axle plates on the tractor are blank (haven't looked at the M812 yet). I am guessing that the tractor is in the mid 60's as it is a Mack, and has the frame cut that is factory to fit the engine (left side of truck to clear injector and air pump). The M812 could be anywhere between 1976 and late 80's. If over 25 years old, I don't have a problem with title, if not it becomes a big problem. Tempted to just call it a 1980, and let DMV try to prove otherwise.
Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
800 series were produced as early as the late 60s I think. The M39 series started in about 1951. It was around 62 or so when the Mack stuff started. Folks, i would suggest that while you can still get it, buy the second edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles put out by Krause. David Doyle is the author and most all of these and other questions can be answered by this book. I don't think it will be revised and don't know if it will have another printing. If you like MVs, it's the bible.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the plug Kenny. I'll have a booth at the convention, and will be selling books there if anyone else needs one.

As far as the data on five tons - I've been accumulating that as well - I don't have as much as I do on the deuces, but can probably still get close. Send me a PM with the army registration number (should be stenciled inside the doors, under the hood, or visible under layers of paint on the hood sides and on or under the tailgate.

Best wishes,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If anyone else needs a copy of the Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles, second edition - I can supply them in the US for $25.00, delivered (same price at the show). Drop me a PM, I take cash, check, PayPal, truck parts!

I'll be at the reenactment and display in Oak Ridge, TN this weekend - no booth, but will have some copies in the briefcase. I'll be found near the M5A1 tanks. Also, will be in Little Rock - where I'll have these and several other books I've done.

To get this back on track - the Mack engine was installed in the five tons beginning in June 1962. This continued for about a year, when the LDS-465 replaced it. Mass production of the 800-series trucks began in 1969. With a registration number, VIN or serial number I can get pretty close on dates.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last I heard from David, the publishing company has opted against publishing another edition of the book. David: Can you post an email address to a publishing company that we can use to send a message requesting another edition be published? If we send enough emails, they might change their minds...or another company might pick it up.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, count me as pre-sold for two copies if it is ever published! I definitely will contact Krause! Thanks.

littlebob

Great book, very informitive and I've missplaced mine. If I can't figure out what I did with my original I'll be ordering another in the next few weeks.
David was nice enought to autograph the first one I got from him
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks