• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AH Dam Those Bolts......

GPW661

About year and a half ago I was getting THOSE grinding noises in the bell housing area when I fight start up the truck and oil is cold. I gave it to the local transmission guy in town and $100.00 later he TIGHTEN up everything that was loose. Now the noise it back. Its 57 degrees here in new york rite now. So I jumped on the chance to retighten up the torque conv bolts...But there are tight...I see the flywheel is grinding up against the strater and the transmission alum cover. I can move the flywheel a tiny bit ,,but just enough to make my life hard.. Now back to a transmission shop.:roll:
PS. All the bolts on the turbo400 oil pan at least took 1 to 2 full turns. :p

camogriz

It is possible that the 6 bolts that connect the transmission case to the motor may have loosened up and backed out. Especially if you say the flexplate is grinding against the aluminum. That circumstance should be impossible if those bolts are tight.

sandcobra164

In this case, flexplate to crankshaft bolts may be the culprit since you indicate you can move the flexplate slightly. The starter bolts to the engine block, if the flexplate is loose, it can cause the starter and transmission case to get "clearanced". Otherwise, I'd agree with camogriz and concur that the bolts holding the trans to the motor are loose. Although, it could be a combo of the two!!!