• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-Assist Steering....

dm22630

One of my deuces that has air-assist steering.....steers a LOT easier at low speeds, but, if I am at a stopsign/intersection and make a left turn....it turns very sharp and very easy (like a regular deuce as far as turning radius). If I make a right turn.....I have to make a HUGE right turn and ALWAYS swing way into the opposing traffics lane.

Why is this?

Can it be fixed?

I am worried about running into someone or scraping their car because I have to make such wide turns.

And.....making 3 left turns in order to go right is not really possible around here ;) :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance!

CCATLETT1984

I'm wondering if either your air cylinder is not centered like it should be and limiting the movement of the knuckles, or your steering stop on the right knuckle is adjusted to far out.

turn the wheel all the way to the right and shut the truck off, see what looks to be hindering movement.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Air-Assist Steering....

Could be as simple as a drag link adjustment. Put the front on jackstands and turn the wheels by hand from lock to lock. You are looking to see what stops if from turning right. You should be able to feel if its the steering box or the air assist cylinder limiting your turns.

aboonski

My truck does the same thing!

I was wondering if it was just me and now I see someone else has the same identical problem. I misplaced the instruction sheet that I got from the guy who sells the Air Assist setup so I never did see whether my system is installed to specifications. I bought my entire Air Assist used from a person in Haines City for $250.00 and had to change out the O-ring due to hardening of the vulcanized rubber "puck" that does all the work in the piston assembly. I have a replacement boot cover but have not figured out how to install it as yet. Anybody have any knowledge of how this is accomplished? I am sure that something unscrews but I have been unsuccessful in my tries to do so.

Stan45

I've had an Inter Agency, Air o Matic kit on my truck since 05. It turns right to left equally. I'd suspect the clamp on the drag link has moved, so the air clyinder can't push it full right. Simple fix, to adjust.

nickd

I put the kit on my truck and if I remember correctly with the wheels pointing straight you need to measure the length of the tie rod to find the center. Operate the cylinder(by hand) to find the center point of travel. Put the centered cylinder on the center mark on the tie rod. When the system is aired up the unit on the drag link sends air to extend or retract the piston from center.

aboonski

Thanks for that info! Seems very logical and I will be making the adjustments sometime today. I'll see how far I am off by taking before and after measurements. Thanks for the responses!

N3Nflyer

I LOVE This site I learn something new every day. This air assist system sounds great. I'll have to keep my eye out for a used one. New is out of my price range ($1800). Beside it would be hard telling the wife I payed more for the power steering than I did for the entire truck. :D

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get an air assist you will love it. I have 2 that came with air assist. Makes life a whole lot easier cruising town and parking. And for me making tight turns on the mountain roads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks