• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air bags on M1028 dually

hg adams

I need to put air bags on the back axle of my truck to help level it and support a little more weight. It sounds like installing air bags would be easier and cheaper than putting all new spring packs on it. Has anyone done this? What brand of bags did you use? Some pictures would be nice also if anyone has them.

scrambled

I jave a set of firestone airbags to go on my m1008. I have used them on other 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with great success. You can inflate them after you load the truck. I think they are the ride rite 2040 kit.

pigfoot63

Just ordered a Airlift setup from Sumitt racing part # 57237 waiting for them to come. Also removed my pintle and
installed a receiver in it's place to mount rear winch, makes it real easy to load trailer.

rlwm211

one way to add airbags

As far as I have found Firestone is about the only manufacturer of air bags for the aftermarket. There may be others, and I would bet the others are using FIRESTONE air bag components anyways.

Here is the link to the PDF they have on how to install their kit. You may be able to find other brands and that is fine, but I am sure the method of installation will not vary a bit

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/pdfs/RR/installation/2040.pdf

RL

1986Blazerk5

It sounds like a good idea if you need the extra weight capacity. It would be nice to level out the truck with or without a trailer. I don't know of a good company as I have never installed them. But you have the need for them it would be a interesting build. I would like to know more about this.

rnd-motorsports

I have a set of firestone bags on my 2500hd love them . Have installed maybe 20 sets on dif trucks both with manual valves and with the onboard compresser controled in cab if you not going to use them everyday then the incab is not needed and is a added cost anyways you can use one or two fill valves i like the single valve. when you do not need the extra capacity then drop presure to 5 pse and you never know there on the truck but when needed put a little air in and WoW! buy a kit made for the truck you are putting them on and takes only a hour or so no big deal!!

rnd-motorsports

and as scrambled stated the ride rite kit you need is #2040 comes with everything needed to mount! just checked to be sure and the as pigfoot63 said kit from summit also #57237 never used it so cant offer any input. both would work Firestone has been around so the name sometimes means alot! just saying

Last edited:

hg adams

overload spring with air bags

I have not ordered any air bags yet. All the photos showing the bags installed do not show an overload spring in the setup. My 1028 dually has 1 overload spring. I was hoping I could just get longer carriage bolts to make up for the increase in spring pack depth. Any suggestions?

Matt65

Good thread, hope to see pics.

I was wondering how much weight you are needing to haul. My 1008 will handle a decent load before squatting the rear. Planning any power upgrades?

pigfoot63

Building a tow rig . I haul a lot of Suburbans and they are heavy and long. As far as power upgrades my 6.2 is fine but I do have a 6.5 and 4L80E trans when the time comes to change out.

Mikey90744

now its a ranger not a military truck, but Ive got an airlift kit on the truck and love it. I did the new spring route on my ranger first but due to what I was making the truck do it didnt help till I went with the bags. IMO springs arent worth it, just skip the BS and go straight to airbags. as for pictures its a ranger not fullsize, but let me know I will go take some in the morning if you guys want

flyxpl

I have put airbags on F350 dually to help out with the load of a slide in camper that used to squat the dually . I can pretty much pick my own ride height now . They are Firestone . Not a lot of work and well worth it . Hardest part was probably drilling holes in thick metal . I went with two hoses so that bags could be adjusted for an uneven load .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has anyone photo'd their install? I'm looking to add some to my 1008 now for my gooseneck and my pintle trailer to keep it more leveled. And some other things I'm adding.

Keith_J

Did it on my M1031 SECM as stock springs were sagging under load, plus abuse of towing 12k..with brakes, slow.

I removed the helper springs, using replacement u bolts with longer threaded sections, then trimmed. Hole drilling wasn't too bad. Was able to mount the Schraeder valves between bumper and body, using bolt holes left bare after installing a class V commercial hitch.

The loss of the unsprung weight improved ride quality greatly. I run 80 PSI for level ride at 8400 pounds GVW.1122181522.jpg1122181520a.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks