• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brake Compressor Bendix M107981x help

fjdedrick

Ok guys... I've removed the Original Compressor after losing all my air at a stop light.

I was able to get home by tapping a pancake compressor into the air dryer line.
Found the exhaust valve plate broke and put a hole in one of the pistons...

I sourced a remanufactured BENDIX M107981X and everything was golden until I got to the point of putting it back in the truck... The mounting bracket doesn't line up at all.

The Front Flange mount is perfect... The compressor is slightly larger so it was a bit tighter fit... But it clears all the way around.

I have two questions...

When putting the gear nut on it didn't quite go on as deep. I'm replacing the nut with a Nylon lock nut

I also noticed that when I removed the old compressor I could turn it by hand... The new compressor only turned with a breaker bar when applying the gear nut. Should it be that hard to turn?

Has any one ever made a bracket for this one to mount?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Ok guys... I've ....

PLEASEEEE do not use tapatalk..... for putting pics in threads (unless your willing to go back later and actually UPLOAD THEM HERE) all we see is a gobldy goop links and not pics. granted we can click on them but that does not get them into the archives. this sounds like it will end up a very valuable informative thread already..... hate to see that it will be worthless later when those links no longer work.

fjdedrick

I promise to upload when I get back into the house... I tjought about you as soon as I posted.
PLEASEEEE do not use tapatalk..... for putting pics in threads (unless your willing to go back later and actually UPLOAD THEM HERE) all we see is a gobldy goop links and not pics. granted we can click on them but that does not get them into the archives. this sounds like it will end up a very valuable informative thread already..... hate to see that it will be worthless later when those links no longer work.

coachgeo

I promise to upload when I get back into the house... I tjought about you as soon as I posted. Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
thanks for compressor pic and pic of where you Tee'd it in. Might build that emergency option in just in case hmmm....

apologize if I've griped at you before about it.... can't remember what happened an hour ago much less what happend weeks or month ago lol

Last edited:

fjdedrick

It's OK!! I just now uploaded and see what you mean from the big screen... Just links. No good
apologize if I've griped at you before about it.... can't remember what happened an hour ago much less what happend weeks or month ago lol

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new piston and rebuild kit can be bought very reasonably. The exact same thing happened to Coffey1 a while back and I rebuilt his old one. And yes the new one should be hard to turn by hand.

fjdedrick

I think I might be stuck with this one... It's all mounted except for the bracket. Not sure I can return it...
A new piston and rebuild kit can be bought very reasonably. The exact same thing happened to Coffey1 a while back and I rebuilt his old one. And yes the new one should be hard to turn by hand.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The unloader on top of the head gets stuck. From sitting the lubricant dries up and becomes hard chunks. You can rebuild the unloader on the truck.

fjdedrick

I'm going to try to return the remanufactured unto and spring for the kit.

I nor... Custom bracket.

fjdedrick

The unloader on top of the head gets stuck. From sitting the lubricant dries up and becomes hard chunks. You can rebuild the unloader on the truck.
I did rebuild the unloader and changed the governor... Still got nothing. That's when I dug deeper and found the piston hade a hole in it.

I was really looking to see if anyone may have made a bracket for this style already...

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bracket should not be hard to fab, however I would either rebuild yours or I was able to get a New take off compressor from eBay a few months back for under $250. Also it doesn’t look like the ps pump coupling is the same and the pump will be rotated vs the original setup which will effect the PS hose routing

gentrysgarage

I am with Smike, I have been searching for the block and compressor bracket for my TF 550 since I got it 3 months ago, have 2 different styles...no ESN or original truck vin. Without those important numbers its not able to be looked up it seems. With your different pump adapter, just changing the coupling won't help. If I can get some time on a decent drill press (mine has too much slop) (or someone kind enough to plot and make it with a CNC ...hehheheh hint hint..) I will figure out how to make the Oring seat for the block mount I will then either use angle or a solid rectangular piece of metal (like the 939A2s have) and mount it. As far as the compressor bracket itself I am using one from a Ford kit I bought and thought would work. Note the Ford kit was in direct response to the thinner bracket supplied new that were cracking and some were leading to broken gear cases. As misery loves company, I Hope this helps alittle knowing someone else is going through the compressor mounting problems. Yours shouldn't be as hard as mine to fix.

fjdedrick

Great piece of experience... Thanks for all the info!
I am with Smike, I have been searching for the block and compressor bracket for my TF 550 since I got it 3 months ago, have 2 different styles...no ESN or original truck vin. Without those important numbers its not able to be looked up it seems. With your different pump adapter, just changing the coupling won't help. If I can get some time on a decent drill press (mine has too much slop) (or someone kind enough to plot and make it with a CNC ...hehheheh hint hint..) I will figure out how to make the Oring seat for the block mount I will then either use angle or a solid rectangular piece of metal (like the 939A2s have) and mount it. As far as the compressor bracket itself I am using one from a Ford kit I bought and thought would work. Note the Ford kit was in direct response to the thinner bracket supplied new that were cracking and some were leading to broken gear cases. As misery loves company, I Hope this helps alittle knowing someone else is going through the compressor mounting problems. Yours shouldn't be as hard as mine to fix.

fjdedrick

Ok... Got the compressor mounted... Getting 100 lbs of pressure. Which way do I turn the governor to increase..

Oh yeah

No power steering... The pump splines slid right into the mount perfect... Do I have to prime that pump somehow?

Duckworthe

I was able to purchase the correct Haldex compressor from my local parts supplier. I took old one in and they sold me a new one. It was $400 but I was done in about 2 hours. Midland was bought out by Haldex years ago but Haldex still make that compressor new and or rebuilt. Since I got the same one I had no rigging to make it work. If you wanted to contact them the place is called San Diego friction, also known as Wetmores. 619-232-9164. I have no affiliation with them except that they always have the parts in stock. They have two locations, One downtown San Diego and the other is in El Cajon Ca. I didn't have an issue getting the Power steering pump to work after. If it is attached correctly it will turn and pump. I'm curious if it is really mating up correctly to your compressor.

fjdedrick

Got an update!!

Pics coming..

I the M107981x was no good. The power steering pump shaft was smaller than the hub on the compressor, it wasn't turning. I was able to find a complete Original Take off unit in chicago that included the power steering pump and most fittings. for a whopping $500 including shipping. I was able to return the remanufactured haldex unit.

I now have an original compressor and steering pump for rebuild and a full functioning unit on the truck. Replaced the Air Dryer with an AD9 unit while I was in there.0602181920[1].jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks