• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air brake connections- Teflon paste or Teflon tape?

Reworked LMTV

What is the DOT standard for NPT connections on air brake systems? Teflon paste or Teflon tape or either?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A master plumber once told me that the purpose of teflon tape or the teflon pipe sealant is to lubricate the threads so you can get the connection tighter.

runk

A master plumber once told me that the purpose of teflon tape or the teflon pipe sealant is to lubricate the threads so you can get the connection tighter.
And if you are using stainless, to keep it from galling or friction welding together.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The red stuff is typically oe applied and used by haldex and bendix.

Ndt is spot on. Not only used to seal threads as most pipe threads do that on there own but to prevent galling and seizing by lubricating the threads.

I just recently overtightened an oil pressure switch and cracked it flush on the block. I had used white brush on permatex sealer. Fitting came out easily with easy out. Might have been a totally different outcome otherwise.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you mean red (medium?) loctite? I have heard this before too... but was expressed to use lighter than normal on smaller ones; esp. brass fittings that might round off when trying to remove
No. Not 271 or ? Thread locker. This thread sealer maybe 569 if memory serves me .....
Different purpose. Those are anti vibration.

Reworked LMTV

I spoke with Haldex this AM. Nice guy. He stated that the only approved sealant for the composite manifolds is pipe dope, or PST565. NO TEFLON TAPE. NO RED LOCTITE.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I spoke to Henkel tech support who is the parent of permatex/loctite.

The red is actually what they call burnt orange. It is sold to preauthorized centers in bulk and they apply it. They do not sell the same product in the retail or automotive/hardware markets.

Some additional information provided:
"So we have many anaerobic thread sealants. They are chemically very different than the pre-applied product. First of all, they do not dry on the thread, so you apply and assemble right away. Secondly, the pre-applied thread sealant is a non-curing product, so it can actually be adjusted. Our liquid/paste anaerobic products cure once, and if you move them, you've lost the seal "

Their preferred solution for pipe thread sealant is 567. So the OE applied stuff can stand to be adjusted after the fact but not the stuff we have access to. I suspect 565 or 567 or pipe dough will be fine as additional preventative.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

So I spoke to Henkel tech support who is the parent of permatex/loctite.

The red is actually what they call burnt orange. It is sold to preauthorized centers in bulk and they apply it. They do not sell the same product in the retail or automotive/hardware markets.

Some additional information provided:
"So we have many anaerobic thread sealants. They are chemically very different than the pre-applied product. First of all, they do not dry on the thread, so you apply and assemble right away. Secondly, the pre-applied thread sealant is a non-curing product, so it can actually be adjusted. Our liquid/paste anaerobic products cure once, and if you move them, you've lost the seal "

Their preferred solution for pipe thread sealant is 567. So the OE applied stuff can stand to be adjusted after the fact but not the stuff we have access to. I suspect 565 or 567 or pipe dough will be fine as additional preventative.
I'm not sure these are the correct products IF you are replacing your Haldex Midland brake manifold control with the latest version. The newer products are NOT a metal manifold. They are a plastic composite. These two sealers appear to be metal to metal.

brianhk91

I guess 565 is OK since Haldex approved it, but be aware that the TDS for both 565 and 567 say "This product is not normally recommended for use on plastics (particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result). Users are recommended to confirm compatibility of the product with such substrates. "

Attachments

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always use liquid/paste thread sealants for pneumatic fittings, because the little shreds of tape will cause malfunctions in pneumatic controls (e.g. the pilot passage on a solenoid is very small, and easily clogged). Tape is only for liquid plumbing systems, but even then once you have the liquid/paste around there is almost no point in ever using tape again.

Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant is a good single choice to keep around: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...high-temperature-thread-sealant/?locale=en_us

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks