• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brake system troubleshooting

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Pressure

Not sure as I always idle it at least 5 min to warm her up but I think I loose the air pressure within hours after shut down. Never paid attention to it. I just thought it was normal. Was not sure how long it was supposed to last until I saw your post and was wandering if I have a problem or slow leak I was not aware of?

Can other M939 owners, chime in on how long you maintain air pressure after shut down?

ARYankee

My pressure will usually bleed off in a couple of hours. I really haven't timed it or paid too much attention to it. Usually if I'm parking it for the night, I drain the air. As long as there aren't any issues with it bleeding off badly while driving and not building pressure, I would worry too much about it.

Greenbeast1

Does anyone know what would be leaking in the rear two drums of passenger side of 923a2 when the brake pedal is depressed? I hear air leaking out from inside the drums when I press the pedal and then air gauge goes down pretty fast.
this truck has ABS

212sparky

Does anyone know what would be leaking in the rear two drums of passenger side of 923a2 when the brake pedal is depressed? I hear air leaking out from inside the drums when I press the pedal and then air gauge goes down pretty fast.
this truck has ABS
check the brake cans for leaks. it could be leaking air into the drums by the wedge

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Maybe the service brake diaphragm. You have to be very careful taking the spring chamber apart though. There should be a caging bolt on the chamber.

212sparky

I have seen cans on epay. Not sure if they are the same as yours. I picked up one for 90 shipped to go on an 86 international line truck 6 months ago. It looked the same s what the M932 have on the rears.

Dukeman

I am back on this after quite some time. We have tracked down and corrected several air leaks on the old girl but still have one giant problem. There is air leaking out of one of the rear brake diaphragms only when the brake pedal is depressed. The air system builds and holds air fine. It holds air for several hours after shut down. But if the pedal is depressed the rear can leaks pretty quick. How do I tell if it is the spring brake diaphragm or the service brake diaphragm? Can I change the service brake diaphragm without caging the spring brake? Can you tell me which TM would apply. I would like to read the TM but our internet speeds at work are so slow it takes a good hour to download each TM. If I know the correct one its no big deal, but to search through every one will take all day. Thanks for the help.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to read them online, or saving them to your computer? You need to save them down to a hard drive or CD to have any sanity at all left after trying to search. I don't know which one off hand, but if I get a few minutes I can check. Mean while, just start dowloading and saving them. You will be glad you did.

quickfarms

I am back on this after quite some time. We have tracked down and corrected several air leaks on the old girl but still have one giant problem. There is air leaking out of one of the rear brake diaphragms only when the brake pedal is depressed. The air system builds and holds air fine. It holds air for several hours after shut down. But if the pedal is depressed the rear can leaks pretty quick. How do I tell if it is the spring brake diaphragm or the service brake diaphragm? Can I change the service brake diaphragm without caging the spring brake? Can you tell me which TM would apply. I would like to read the TM but our internet speeds at work are so slow it takes a good hour to download each TM. If I know the correct one its no big deal, but to search through every one will take all day. Thanks for the help.
The spring brake diaphragm uses air pressure to release the brakes. If they are torn you will have to cage the brakes just to move the truck unless the brakes are out of adjustment.

You need to cage the spring brake to replace the service diaphragm. Even caged they are extremely dangerous because of all the energy. If you do not have experience working on the air brakes you really should have a professional work on it.

The good thing about the spring brakes is if you have a catastrophic air loss the brakes with automatically apply, provided they are correctly adjusted.

quickfarms

The COLA test is used to check the air compressor and air lines. This is a required part of your daily pre trip inspection. This is part if the CDL requirements.

Even if a CDL is not currently required in your state you should perform the COLA and pre trip inspection before the vehicle is driven each day.

On a practical note if the air leaks down enough over two hours to trip the low air buzzer then the leak needs to be found and corrected.

RustyM923

The service brakes are the smaller pots on the rear axle. They look like the fronts, just a little bigger. DP16 is the diaphragm size.

The spring brakes are the bigger pots on the rear axle. They have the caging bolt assembly on them. I would get a professional to help you if these are leaking air. They would be leaking air constantly if they were bad.

Last edited:

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question, while replacing my pancakes(diaphragms) on my front brakes (M936) there is a plastic guide that goes on the push rod (part 7 in TM 9-2330-272-34P-1 fig 184). the manuals do not show where it goes on the rod. does it go up near the piston or down near the wheel hub. mine were mangled up, also do they need any lube? or is the plastic good enough. I was thinking they help support the piston end and keep it centered in the rubber. or do they keep the rod centered in the wedge assembly at the other end? any advice would be appreciated. all the threads I could find focused on the diaphragm end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks