• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brake Thing is leaking

lost in the bush

OK, before you jump on me my mechanical skills are slim to none. I have no Idea what to call the thing. However one of our 923 will not hold air and it is escaping out the bottom of this thing.airbrake thing.jpgsorry for pix angle.

Is there a safety valve on the bottom and if so can it be reset.

ON the way home from pick up worked great. Parked in front of our dumpster. Now stuck there, because no air no brake release. Any ideas other than hooking up my big Airport crash truck and drag it ripping all the rubber off the back tires. Using both forklifts I still do not have enough um-pf to pick up the back end and move it
.Untitled 3.jpg The Infidel can do it.

Any help will be appreciated, I need to move today we already missed one trash pick up and the back of the warehouse is getting full of empty GL Tri-walls and bags.

Attachments

Ddmk18

That's the air dryer. You probably need to rebuild it. Napa usually has the parts on hand for them. Midland haldex DQ6026 is the filter kit. And lower rebuild kit DQ6020. Mine did same thing shortly after recovery and I rebuilt it with those kits and it's been good to go.

lost in the bush

Thanks. no quick fix to move.. I thought about starting truck and also hooking up our m931 air hosed to the front. Not sure if we could force enough air through. Sounds like a big NO.

I will look thru our m939 parts triwalls for the parts as well.

Mike

Ddmk18

You can try and push the plunger up in the center of the spout sticking down and try that. It got me home but it will act up again if you don't rebuild it.

searls84

If all you need to do is move it, shove a wine cork in the hole (champagne bottle cork worked for me) and duct tape it in. Use LOTS of duct tape. You only need to build about 60-70 psi to release the brakes to move it. It worked for me to move my truck from the back yard up to the garage for proper repair. DO NOT drive it any where like this!!! This is just a quick remedy to get it out of the way of your dumpster until you can PROPERLY repair it!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To fix it you need to install a rebuild kit. To just get the truck moved, hook the 2 big lines to each-other, essentially bypassing the air dryer, or cage the brakes.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray silicone spray lube which is safe for the orings (NO WD40!) into that plastic black cup. Then push the black plunger up on the inside. It will slide up with out too much effort. You should now be able to build pressure and here it blow around 120 psi.

As stated above, The drier needs new filters and orings. A common overlooked maint items on these trucks.

IsaLandr

Tartaned Goði
Maybe I'm thinking too simply, but... Has anyone thought to check if the spring brake override control in the dash works correctly, and if its supply tank is charged?

You said that when you brought the truck home, the system was building and holding air pressure properly. Unless you've blown out all the air with the drain valves since then, the spring brake override tank might have enough pressure in it to pop the spring brakes long enough to at least get the truck moved. On both of ours, that tank will hold air for days or even weeks when the rest of the system has drained down to zero. It usually has enough pressure to pop the spring brakes several times.

If you've got a safe way to move the truck without brakes, this might at least free up the wheels long enough to get it moved. And then you can repair the leaking air dryer at your leisure.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should note that by hooking air to the front driver side glad hand you can charge all the air and it bypasses the air dryer. Fill the air and all works at least to move it. Really no need for hammers. Pretty simple.

sandcobra164

I just want to add that I would not use a P-19 Crash Truck to move a 5 ton with locked up brakes. The pintle is not very strong on these. We used to move them by hooking a scoop loader with a special attachment with a lunette ring to lift the back end of a P-19 to move it around. We've broken a few and now use and adapter to hook slings to the lift points on the corners of the bumper. We move many large trucks by the pintle so that we don't have to cage brakes and have no issues for the most part.