• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brakes sticking on M923A2...

JamesH

Well I had this problem with the air brakes during my recovery when I hit stop and go traffic. I took it for a drive yesterday and had no problems but then today when I took it for a spin, I got a 1/4 mile from the house and when I stopped at a stop sign, they didn't want to release. I gave it a little power and they released. I got to the next stop sign and they locked up good. I powered through to a vacant field across the street and tapped on them with a hammer and went from forward to reverse a few times and they eventually released. I got her back home and when I felt the rear drums, 1 was cold, 2 were warm and 1 was too hot to keep my hand on at all......I had traveled about 1 mile total.
I can't find anything in the TM's about this....anyone have any advise?

Thanks,

James

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea thats the problem with wedge. If they get rusty or stick because of a hard brake they will stick. You will have to find out which chamber stuck. The double or single. Then you might be able to remove it and try and get some lube up the cylinder. Then you could try and pull the hub. When you are looking at the brakes you will see the actuation unit and there will be two nut looking thing on it. Two on each actuation unit. You remove the nut and gain axcess to the workings. Then try and lube that up with something. Be carefull as one of the nuts is the slack adjuster and the nut thing can only go in one way. The best thing I might do if the actuation unit is bad PM Steve aka Steve 6x6x6 and see if he has a whole spyder that is a good take off and just replace you whole spyder. Pm me if needed and I will give you my cell.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is one link to show parts. Yea thought about it more and did you have any air leaking on the double brake chamber?
Like I said if the problem is a dirty or gumed up assembely then you might get lucky and free it up with some work. The parts can be hard to find but as said you could also just changed the whole spyder. You don't realy have much to change as just drop air lines off chambers and leave the brake shoes alone just unbolt the spyder fron the axle housing. Bolt on used spyder and hook up air lines. The mud guys unbolt the spyders and don't use them so if you need one they are out there for maybe cheaper than the parts to rebuild.ftp://38.106.177.129/gopettibone/fo...topmaster heavy-duty brakes manual no. 4p.pdf
Here is another good link.ftp://38.106.177.129/gopettibone/fo...-rockwell/stopmaster brakes manual no. 4r.pdf

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do find you need a whole spyder believe the front left rear and rear rear right are interchangeable. Then so would be the right front rear and the left rear rear.

JamesH

Thank you all! I got buried in work all of a sudden but as soon as I get the time I now know where to look!

James

JamesH

Well Dave I was really hoping it was the Inversion valve....thanks for getting it shipped out so quickly....unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.....Looks like I'm going in....

James

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said before there might be a frozen assembely in one of your chambers. You will have to track the spyder that is locked up. Might be easer to jack up all axles one at a time if you have to and see which one is jamed. Then you will have to find out if it is the double or single chamber that is locked. Then you can eather try to get it to release or as said try and find all parts to rebuild or replace whole spyder. Pm me if you want my cell and I will tell you what I do in worse case.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pull the dust covers off and check to see which brake shoe(s) are not releasing. I would check the wheel that was too hot to touch. You will probably end up pulling that one apart.
The are a couple of wedge brake videos on YouTube. Also Google meritor brakes or axles. You should be able to match them up. I found an on line catalog and was able to match all the parts but I don't have it handy now.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray did you order any parts from them and did they have them?

I didn't order anything. When I got mine apart, I didn't need anything, just clean and lube. It was a current catalog (only a year or two old) so I would think parts are available.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 bucks say they won't have the 4 seals and roller assembely we need to rebuild.
I don't know what tools he has or even knows what drums is haveing problems. Yea he could pull dust shields and look. Myself I have a 30ton air floor jack that can lift one compleat axle quick so I would just jack up one whole axle and see what drum is stuck if it still is. The drum that is sticking is going to have to be removed to service. So in my case I do not need to remove the dust shields to quickley find which axle/drum has the problem. Also I found when doing an axle / bearing service with my wheel dolly it helps to have the whole axle level so I lift the whole axle and set it on jack stands even if I am only doing one side.

Last edited:

Baradium

If one drum was incredibly hot, that would indicate the sticking one in my mind. Just saying... Even if another one is sticking some, that one difinately is.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to service the brakes on my M929 because of a dragging brake. I borrowed a wheel lift from RAYZER and pulled the wheels,hub,drum as one piece, much easier. Here's what you will see when you pull the drum/hub assembly.

IMG_3659.jpgIMG_3657.jpgIMG_3658.jpg

One side has an adjusting plunger (on left), the other is a anchor plunger. The adjusting plunger has a pawl assembly and the anchor plunger just has a plunger guide The seals are different so keep track of them for reassembly. Look in the TM, there are also better guides on-line. Clean everything and make sure the adjuster is free and works correctly.

IMG_3660.jpg

Clean up the bores of the spider and check to see if the wedge is in the proper position. Put some grease on the wedge and in the plunger bores and then reassemble. You don't need a lot of grease.

IMG_3661.jpg

The 5 tons have regular oil seals on the back of the hub and since mine was already full of oil (as you can see), I put it back together that way. The hubs on this truck run cool at 110~120 degrees. I didn't use a keyway seal and you can leave the outer grease seal off. (Disclaimer: this is what I did, I don't care what anybody else does).

IMG_3662.jpg

Artisan

Do I see evidence of overheating on that, is it the "Spindle" ?
See the discoloration? Did you replace bearings?
THANX for the pics !

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do I see evidence of overheating on that, is it the "Spindle" ?
See the discoloration? Did you replace bearings?
THANX for the pics !
The bearings looked new and may have been replaced in the past. The hubs have never been hot since I've own the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks