• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Cleaner Modifications

Jakelc15

46665 is the inner filter, shows 100 cfm flow.
Also these are not a replacement filter for the stock one. This filter is a radial seal type and without the proper housing they will allow dirt around the seal.
The factory filter is still made today and available. If you need more cfm , get a new housing with a newer filter.

Plugugly

I installed a new Wix 46664 in my 1992 M923A2 the other day, and found a pretty simple way to do it I thought I'd share. I used some angled strut you can find and most any hardware store, and it took all of about 5 minutes to build the adapter and install the new filter. I zip tied the the strut to the existing standoffs in the removable section of the housing, I did not remove the plastic "fan" part in the forward half of the housing, as the video shows the smaller diameter of the Wix probably makes this a non-issue. I was getting a filter minder reading around 3/4 towards the "change" end of the gauge, even though my stock filter looked very clean. Now, I'm still getting a reading about 3/8ths of the way towards change, I'm not really sure what's normal on the this truck. It's definitely flowing more air by that gauge, and I think it feels like it on the butt-dyno.

I think the seal of this filter is plenty good if you take the time to make sure it's square, the length is the same and while the sealing end isn't the same design when it's forced against the flat surface it's really got no choice but to seal. Going the other way, our 939 filter in a Wix 46664 application would not work at all, the mating surfaces wouldn't line up. But since the filter seal in the fixed portion is basically just a flat plate with a hole in the middle on the 939's (at least mine is) the end of the 46664 seals against it.

Here are some pictures that should explain what I used. I cut a one foot section of the strut into four equal pieces, because I had exactly one foot on hand. That left a little room, it might take 18-24 inches of strut if you wanted to use all the available space in the housing to guide the filter. Note that the hole you see in the removed end of the can is not where the air goes or the filter seals. That is the end that pushes against the filter to seal it against the engine side.

This is pretty easy way to save 50% on air filter costs, not to mention the hassle of getting the uncommon stock filter. It flows more air that my truck seems to like, and in IMHO it's not letting any bad stuff by.

Last edited:

Plugugly

I posted a reply with pictures about how I made the Wix 46664 fit easily about twelve hours ago, it was "awaiting moderator approval". I guess it did not meet their approval.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I posted a reply with pictures about how I made the Wix 46664 fit easily about twelve hours ago, it was "awaiting moderator approval". I guess it did not meet their approval.
It's approved. Your low post count trips a security feature since you're linking to off the site. Images should be uploaded directly to the site. That's why they display as links instead of embedded images.

spicergear

BTW- Just purchased Fleetguard filter AF25354 off of Amazon for $63.44 and free shipping. Just type in af25354 in their search box.

Great thread :driver: and video!

spicergear

As posted above, I ordered the new filter from Amazon. I installed it in about five minutes today so forget about the wire hoopy things or paying too much for them- ...if you don't have access to high density structural shims, I'm sure you could cut a piece of hardwood the same size as this and be happy. The shim is 3/4" thick, 4" long, 3" wide. Easy, and gives a uniform space the whole way around the filter. I put it at the bottom of the filter and for the amount that the shim may block vs time you just gained...I'm not concerned. The filter will stay in place if the shim is placed like mine is. You can see that when I trial fit the other half back on, it was centered on the filter. Easy peezy. Okay...maybe it took seven minutes because I tried a half inch shim first. ;)

20150318_171320.jpg20150318_171509.jpg20150318_171412.jpg20150318_171642.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would mention the reason why your finding oil in filter box.
The transfer inter lock is leaking air into t-case and pressuring it up which is pushing oil up the t- case vent to filter .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks