• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air cleaner not fitting right

Rich Johnson

I have this problem with my aircleaner housing. First I just bought the truck and drove it home. I found the air cleaner foam was toast and the element was sucking in so I get a replacement at NAPA. I put it on and the truck is really loud now when it accelerates. Its so loud that it gives me a headache to drive it for a distance.

Well, I noticed that the lid doesnt fit tight and noting Ive tried will get it to fit, it has a gap all the way around. What is worng here? I know its not the air cleaner, because I got a NOS CUCV one from a friend, Labeled so, and tried it too, in fact, its in there now.

Could this extra air be the cause of all the noise?

Attachments

boomer431

Check to make sure the bottom of the housing is indexed to the intake. There is a tab that indexes to a slot in the intake . Loose air cleaners can make alot of noise ,plus the risk of something sucking into the intake.

Rich Johnson

Ive seen what your talking about. Its not the problem, its seated properly.
The noise is the deep vhoom of the engine, and it echos through the cab, even with the windows down, its loud.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say that they sold you the wrong element. Meassure yours and let us know and also post the part number. I have a couple of CUCVs that I will check in a few minutes.

With the lid not fitting correctly will cause a louder noise. You will get a whistle effect with the small opening around the lid.

Rich Johnson

As posted above, I replaced NAPA filter with a NOS out of the box and plastic bag US Military surplus CUCV filter. Its the same as the NAPA one. But the surplus one is still in the truck and the picture.

The Noise is not a whistling effect, its a deep loud strong engine sound. Kind of like if you drove without a filter you know.

What bugs me is my I dont remember my friends M1009 ever being THAT loud, and I rode in it alot on multi hour trips.

This truck is really loud, Im thinking its getting too much air through the gap around the top of the filter dish.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the picture further, the lid doesn't look right. It looks like a civvy unit.

If the old filter was squashed then the previous owner may have installed an incorrect cover and squashed the filter to make it fit.

I haven't had a chance to check yet. Maybe someone else can post a picture of their housing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps it has a humvee filter top or other filter housing items? There should be no gap, and a gap will increase noise drastically.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From way out in deep left field.......are both threaded rods/studs screwed all the way down in the manifold?

m38inmaine

Driving a M1009 and comparing it to a M1008 is not a fair comparison. The M1009 has 308 gears and much quiter than the M1008 which has 456 gears and is screaming at speed. Looks like a simple matter of the air cleaner top or bottom being tweaked. That much of a gap is not going to cause alot of noise.

dieselpony

I had the exact same problem for years and never found out what caused the problem.
In the beginning all worked like it should but after a filter change long time ago the lid didn't close completely. Buying another original Delco fiter didn't help. So i ended up turning the wing nuts down to compress the filter element. I used this same inlet for years (cleaning it regularly).
Last year i snapped a complete air cleaner housing from a junk yard cucv and voila all worked great!

Maybe i accidently stepped on my old lid so the center section wasn't raised up like it should.

@Warthdog:
You think the civy units are different from the cucvs? Is it the lower housing or the lid? Or the filter element?

Walter

Armada

Maybe an illusion, but from your picture the back of the aircleaner cover looks tight and it's the front edge that is stuck up. Might be a silly question but are BOTH threaded rods poking through the cover and tightened down?
Maybe the front threaded post is missing? The element does compress slightly when the cover is tightened to ensure a tight seal. It looks as if yours is only compressed in the rear.
As loud as you say it is, you are not 100% pulling air through the element. I would get it fixed before doing much driving this way.

Last edited:

Rich Johnson

Both the threaded studs are fully poking through the cover. I will try cranking it down more, but Ive allready got them thumb tight, Im hestitant to use pliers becuase that just seems wrong.

The rear is still open a bit, but not as much as the front. I bet this thing got smashed at some point.

1986Blazerk5

Mine is loose and it tightened it and it still loosened up so i need to use some locktite to keep it from loosening up, it does cause alot of problems that people think is something wrong with the engine

jimmy-90

Does the air cleaner housing fit together correctly without the filter element in it? If it still has that gap in it with no filter element in it then it's probly been steped on or something.

Dodgeman1941

Oh a gap will make a huge difference in noise. I tryed the old trick of flipping over the top to get more air in and it was like running open exhaust it was so loud. The floor boards were vibrating so much that my feet started to get numb.

SmokeyDod

Gap shown in your pic. would certainly make it sound a lot louder. Plus you could be sucking flys, bees etc into your intake ports if the filter don't fit firmly to top lid. It should not be too much of a task to take breather assy off and just look at it. See if it's warped and if so, just straighten it out. As for as tightening the two wing nuts, I usally always have to use a flat hd screwdriver or pair of pliars to get tight enough to stop the vibration noise.

2deuce

As far as tightening the wing nuts, the threads get worn from tightening in the same spot and if there has been some vibration from them getting loose they wear fast and won't stay tight. If the air cleaner is fluttering it will make alot of noise and it will likely do it at a certain RPM. You can get new studs or move the stud tightening point. It doesn't sound like this is your problem if the air cleaner is damaged, but is one way the air cleaner can make noise and lots of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks