• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor and inverter

Braunchitis

I would like to put an air compressor and also an inverter on my M1009. I looked around previous posts, and couldn't really find anything that helped me too much.

Is there a way to add an air compressor with an otherwise stock M1009 setup? On the passenger side, there is a long space on the belt in between the alternator and the crankshaft. Could there be a way to put one there, if one were so inclined? Any certain type of air compressor that you would recommend?

Also, how many amps could a stock M1009 setup go up to for powering an inverter?

Thanks

powerhouseduece

when i was 4 wheelin one day i saw a guy pop his hood then pull out a hose and plug it into something under the hood. it turns out he had a truck that oignally had air conditioning and he used the ac compressor and and turned it into a air compressor. thats my best guess i havent done it myself but its been something ive been wanting to try

JohnFire

I am putting an a/c compressor for on board air in mine right now, but I have already converted my M1009 to 12 volts. So I am using the driver side alternator spot to put in a york a/c compressor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM A-6 compressor is a good unit for this but its big. Lube is a problem for this type of setup. Lots of folks run Slick 50 through them as kind of a permanent lube. You woyld certainly be fabricating mounts for the compressor for sure. Depending on your needs, might consider a CO2 setup. Can't help with the inverter deal but I'd bet running 1000W should be no problem.

JohnFire

I used to have a 2000w inverter on there as well when my truck was 24v. I changed the rear block to 12V and hooked the inverter to that. The engine needs to be running to use it or the battery dies quickly.

hobie237

I would (in fact, I'm going to) just wire in a 2000 watt continuous or so inverter and get a small "hotdog" or "pancake" style air compressor. That'll give me all the air I want roadside, and be useful for a lot of other things, too.

hobie237

The only thing that always makes me nervous about those tanks is that they usually don't have a drain to get the water out of them. The two solutions are to either buy a tank that can be drained, or just replace it every 3-5 years, before that thin-wall sheetmetal has a chance to rust out. Not that it's a big deal, since those tanks are like $20 each. I'd be tempted to buy a busted compressor and swipe the tank off of that, with a drain and all, and bolt it in where the second fuel tank would go.