• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor and inverter

Braunchitis

I would like to put an air compressor and also an inverter on my M1009. I looked around previous posts, and couldn't really find anything that helped me too much.

Is there a way to add an air compressor with an otherwise stock M1009 setup? On the passenger side, there is a long space on the belt in between the alternator and the crankshaft. Could there be a way to put one there, if one were so inclined? Any certain type of air compressor that you would recommend?

Also, how many amps could a stock M1009 setup go up to for powering an inverter?

Thanks

powerhouseduece

when i was 4 wheelin one day i saw a guy pop his hood then pull out a hose and plug it into something under the hood. it turns out he had a truck that oignally had air conditioning and he used the ac compressor and and turned it into a air compressor. thats my best guess i havent done it myself but its been something ive been wanting to try

JohnFire

I am putting an a/c compressor for on board air in mine right now, but I have already converted my M1009 to 12 volts. So I am using the driver side alternator spot to put in a york a/c compressor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM A-6 compressor is a good unit for this but its big. Lube is a problem for this type of setup. Lots of folks run Slick 50 through them as kind of a permanent lube. You woyld certainly be fabricating mounts for the compressor for sure. Depending on your needs, might consider a CO2 setup. Can't help with the inverter deal but I'd bet running 1000W should be no problem.

JohnFire

I used to have a 2000w inverter on there as well when my truck was 24v. I changed the rear block to 12V and hooked the inverter to that. The engine needs to be running to use it or the battery dies quickly.

hobie237

I would (in fact, I'm going to) just wire in a 2000 watt continuous or so inverter and get a small "hotdog" or "pancake" style air compressor. That'll give me all the air I want roadside, and be useful for a lot of other things, too.

hobie237

The only thing that always makes me nervous about those tanks is that they usually don't have a drain to get the water out of them. The two solutions are to either buy a tank that can be drained, or just replace it every 3-5 years, before that thin-wall sheetmetal has a chance to rust out. Not that it's a big deal, since those tanks are like $20 each. I'd be tempted to buy a busted compressor and swipe the tank off of that, with a drain and all, and bolt it in where the second fuel tank would go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks