• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor belt replacement?

bebyb

Hello all, due to a stupid mistake, my air compressor belt shredded. Do you have to have that "special tool" (which I ordered but am still waiting on), or can it be done using more standard tools with more effort? After loosening the two bolts that compress the front part, we tried putting a pipe wrench on the front part and a adjustable wrench on the back part. It would not budge. Do you have to have that tool? Am I damaging anything by trying to get it off with regular tools? I am soaking it in PB blaster overnight.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a PITA but you can do it with "regular" tools. If the pulley halves spin freely, you can get a good starting tension just by hand...then do as you described...pipe wrench and a wrench that can grab the other half.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like the belt is gone, no need for soap!

The pulley is 2 halves on a threaded section, sometimes they are hard to turn. Try soaking the area with ATF to help things "free up".

18operator

I replaced my compressor belt with regular tools. (Pipe wrench and a large set of "channel lock" pliers) It was a bit awkward but soaked in blaster helped.
Hopefully you've loosened and moved the radiator. That'll help with work space and not having to get a radiator repair.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You are supposed to post "Hello all, due to a stupid mistake" and what the stupid mistake was. Then even I can learn from that and not do that.

K
Zero problems with tools I use for other stuff
The "special wrench" is nice to have but I usually make do.
I use my favorite pipe coupling/union wrench on one side and my flat wrench on the inside.
Rustystud and many others have posted on this. Try the search function.
and pictures for the General...
IMG_7245.jpg
IMG_7246.jpg
IMG_7243.jpg
IMG_7247.jpg

It is not like the bolts are going to be froze up every time, only the first time.
I used Kroil, You use something you like but let the stuff work for a couple of whiles.

Last edited:

bebyb

You are supposed to post "Hello all, due to a stupid mistake" and what the stupid mistake was. Then even I can learn from that and not do that.

K
Zero problems with tools I use for other stuff
The "special wrench" is nice to have but I usually make do.
I use my favorite pipe coupling/union wrench on one side and my flat wrench on the inside.
Rustystud and many others have posted on this. Try the search function.
and pictures for the General...
View attachment 666142
View attachment 666143
View attachment 666144
View attachment 666145

It is not like the bolts are going to be froze up every time, only the first time.
I used Kroil, You use something you like but let the stuff work for a couple of whiles.
Haha, well the mistake was not checking to make sure the belt was in the right track on the crankshaft pulley. Got overlapped and shredded the belt. Thanks for the info! I borrowed a compressor wrench from a friend that had one and finally got it off.