• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor failure

resqur

This morning I started the deuce to drive home from work and she would not build air pressure. I heard a bit of a belt whine, which is not unusual, and thought nothing about it. I lowered the drivers side engine compartment access and found this:evil:. There are two holes in the compressor case and the rods are in pieces in the base. I found pieces of the rings as well and will post pictures when I finishing fishing all of the pieces.
While driving to work yesterday all was well; oil pressure- normal, air pressure- normal, braking- normal. She had full air tanks when I opened the drains when I parked her. I checked the oil and the level is normal.
Does anyone have a thought as to the cause? Unlucky me and it was just time for the 40 year old compressor to give up?
I appreciate any suggestions for a cause or trouble shooting.

Sincerely,

Rich

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Think it has been fixed by now as this thread is about 18 months old

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have NO IDEA, whatever one it is it is the WRONG ONE, think I NEED to slow down, maybe take a nap on the couch

Last edited:

Motorcar

I agree, your failure was caused by lack of proper lubrication due to engine bay being too clean. If you ever come this way I will pay you a large sum of money to make mine look that good.

That compressor is a bit of a pain to change where the mounting nuts are on the back side. I ended up removing the radiator support bracket that runs across by the pump/pulley, it's only three bolts and made it much easier. I got a new base gasket from Erik's for just a couple of bucks. Be careful not to get any RTV in the oil supply hole in the base or you may have another failure. I think there is a good picture or two in a "leaking comp base gasket" thread around here.

resqur

Motorcar,
Thanks for the information. I'm not looking forward to the busted knuckles I'm about to earn with this newest project.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any signs of RTV on the base gasket area? I've seen several failures due to the oil supply hole being plugged from RTV.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what ever you do, do not ever use rtv. it has no place on most engines unless it is intended to BE the gasket. only a lazy person, someone who is not a mechanic would ever use that stuff. 2 clean surfaces with a new dry gasket and just a film of permatex 3H will not leak.
tom

resqur

DH, I'll look for RTV when I tear it down. Thanks

m-35tom, Thanks for the advise. I will use the Permatex when I reassemble it. Tom the old deuce is running great with your gear set. I apologize that I haven't gotten back to you from your last call to check on things. I have been going through everything and the brakes were the last step before I could get her back on the road. :beer:

resqur

Well, I got the compressor swapped out. It seems that I'm to fault for the failure. A poorly made gasket blocked the oil passage. Live and learn. While I had to remove the oil filter to swap the compressor so I decided to instal the spin on oil filter kit from Jatonka while I had her apart.

Attachments

resqur

I had a catastrophic engine failure last year so I purchased a good take out and went through it before the install; cleaned, painted, re-torqued.
I had a few bad segments of the original plastic fuel return lines so I replaced them with copper. I think it will hold up better here in Las Vegas where the temps can get a little uncomfortable in the summer.
I'll try and get a few pictures of the engine bay up this week. I'm currently at work and don't have access to my pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks