• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor Governor

drlogistics

Anybody ever have problems with their air compressor governor not working properly? At first mine would not cut off the compressor so it would just keep building air until the bleeder on the tank would let off the pressure. I've lived with it for a while but the bleeder on the tank is extremely loud and annoying. Plus it doesn't bleed until it reaches 150 psi. So I took the governor off and took it apart. Everything seems to be in working order. I also checked the 'trigger to stop' and another clearance measurement per the manual. After putting it back together I am half way there. The compressor will cut out around 100 psi now. But it will not cut back in when I bleed air out of the system. The only way I can make cut back in is to manually press the trigger down. Kind of hard to do while driving. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

drlogistics

Awesome. Send me the link or tell me where I can get a governor for an air compressor that was built in 1952 for $20. I'll order 2 so I have a spare.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They have been the same thing for MANY years. Search ebay with
And see what comes up. If not, got a pic?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one Gimpy linked to may not be the same but it should work.

It would help to know what vehicle we are dealing with. XM211?

drlogistics

Yes. xm211. I've thought about putting a different type of governor on it but I figured I'd try to get the old one working. Didn't know if anyone here would have any tricks up their sleeve.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get this working yet? I have ten governors, a few senators and a bunch of MLA's laying around so if you need parts......

What did you lube that governor up with? I'm away from the manual but thinking we filled it with air-tool oil. It's just some pressure springs valving the air off so not much could go wrong. Taking the tank safeties for a ride seems like a good idea just to make sure they're working right but we've gotta get that government working right first, if that's possible.

drlogistics

I am still working on this. I took it apart for the third time today and decided to take some pics. I cleaned all the parts and put it back together. It still won't cut back in. I have been using air tool lube on it. I really don't think it is a lubrication issue. Everything moves very well. The parts seem like they are brand new. The last pic here shows a close up view right after it cuts out at 100 psi. governonr.jpggovernor 2.jpgdisassembled.jpgon truck.jpgcut out.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just getting at some parts today and I do have a governor on a scrap engine I'd mail to you if you need it and you're ready.

Made me laugh when I read it in the manual but maybe you're having diaphragm troubles. The diaphragm is supposed to hold the inlet valves off their seats, stopping compression when it reaches 100 psi. I just ran through 9-8024 page 452 and it looks like the adjustments require bending things which is pretty high tech. The spec calls for a clearance of 1/32 between the plunger housing and the stop and bend the stop until clearance is achieved.

Let us know how it's going.

drlogistics

Still no luck. I re-checked both clearances per the manual last night. Everything checks out. I even bent the plunger housing stop just to see if it made a difference. That just wouldn't allow the plunger to move up high enough to cut out the compressor. So I got to hear the lovely melody of the tank relief valve again. I'm sure my neighbor loved it at 9 pm last night. I know my wife did. Anyways, I straightened the stop and got the compressor to cut out again. But it seems to me that when the plunger moves up and forces the trigger down that either the plunger housing goes up too far or the springs (TT on page 305 of ORD 9 SNL G-749. Part number 7001964) that push up on the trigger are not strong enough to force the plunger back down. I think I can rule out the diaphragm because the governor will cut out at various pressures depending on the adjustment. So I am going to focus on the trigger itself. Can someone post a short video of their governor with the cover removed and no air in the system. I would like to see how the trigger reacts when you press it down. Mine stays down when I remove my finger. I think it is supposed to pop back up on its own. I will post a video of what I'm looking for later today. For now, here is my governor cutting out at 100 psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMz1Bj3uaAk

drlogistics

So here is a quick video of me doing the air compressor check described in the TM. At the beginning of the video the trigger pops back up on its own after I let it go. I think that is how it is supposed to work. But after I pry the plunger housing up (per the TM) the trigger no longer pops back up on its own. I have to push the plunger housing back down in order to make it work properly again. I believe that is why the compressor will not cut back in when the pressure drops. I'm not sure what is causing the problem but I think it is one of 2 things, maybe a combo of both. Either the plunger housing is getting bound up or the springs under the needles are not strong enough to push the trigger back up. Can anyone out there make a similar video of a properly functioning governor?

http://youtu.be/KdFgleg6-2M

drlogistics

Missing shim

After taking the governor apart for the 10000th time this morning and looking over the attached exploded view of the governor, I realized that I am missing a part. Its labeled X in the exploded view. Its a shim. And I have never seen it before. Not sure if this is causing my problem but it probably serves some sort of purpose. I can't tell exactly where the shim is supposed to go. I also do not know the dimensions of it. Can anybody help?

Attachments

drlogistics

Great minds think alike. I just got back from TSC with a shiny new washer that is just the right size. Gonna throw the governor back on when I get home from work and report back ASAP.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not a short video because we dumped the tanks to see how Goose was doing from 0. Went through the process with the M207 as well but handed off the camera to family and we have a video of the fan if anyone wants one.

Next time I won't dump the tanks and a guy can shorten the video. Once we built air we opened the windshield wiper valve to dump it and ironically everything was about 1 minute apart....on the mark.

Skip to around the 2:50 / 4 / and 5 minute marks for the exciting moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQl1OAk8yM&feature=youtu.be

drlogistics

Thanks for the video plowboy. Nice to see one functioning properly. Mine is still not cutting back in. I added the shim that I mentioned a few posts back. No change. I am going to play around by adding more shims and changing their location. In the meantime, could you post up another video? No air in the system and doing to the clearance check per TM 9-8024 page 452. I'm curious to see how the plunger housing in your governor reacts during that check. Thanks again for all your help. The first big public outing for my truck this year is May 12 and I'm really hoping to get this fixed before then. That safety valve is loud enough to scare people away!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks