• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor mount/base removal

bonedoc

Just wanted to know if anyone has any good tips or can point me in the direction of the correct TM for the removal of the compressor base/mount. Mine seems to be seeping pretty good and can be seen in the pics I uploaded on my mod thread that show my injection pump area.
My compressor seems to work fine but I am a little concerned because I get a little oil out of the air intake air for the compressor and it appears I have at the very least a seeping rear main seal. I saw some other threads and people mentioned that some compressor failures can possibly pressurize the crank case.
About a year and a half ago I removed the compressor and replaced the base gasket because it was leaking. I could kick myself for not removing the mount and doing that gasket as well. I have a spare new compressor and both the base gasket and mount gasket.
So any tips, pointers, hints , etc for this job would be much appreciated.

Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its no fun, just know that going in and plan on pulling the air comp off the base to accomplish the task. No you don't have to pull the air comp, but I've heard it makes things easier.

bonedoc

Its no fun, just know that going in and plan on pulling the air comp off the base to accomplish the task. No you don't have to pull the air comp, but I've heard it makes things easier.
Thanks...lol....I think. I planned on pulling the compressor and will in all likelihood put my new one on. The bolts on the mount....are there any that are difficult to get or need anything special? Is there anything behind the mount I need to be aware of?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nothing behind the mount to worry about that I know of. Its been a while since I've played with one, I just remember it not being fun.

It was so not fun, that I know it will suck if I have to mess with another. I didn't use any special tools.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just removed my air compressor and base (and the oil filter base and the fuel filter base and the tappet cover...)

Nothing to worry about. I would remove the air compressor first (4 bolts), simply for better access. It is straightup bolt removal for the base; no secrets. As you already said, you need a new gasket between base and air compressor (RTV discouraged because of oil passage) and between base and block.

You can check whether your compressor pressurizes the crank case: Remove the oil filler cap. Do you see "smoke" streaming or pulsing out with the engine running? Close the opening with your flat hand. If there is pressure buildup, you will start to feel it in a little while.
It is correct that crank case pressure can make the rear (or front) main seal leak.

Oil out of the compressor intake? Have you taken the compressor intake off to see what's going on in there? There should be an oil reservoir with an oil soaked filter element. It is one of the old school oil bath air filter setups.

Last edited:

bonedoc

I just removed my air compressor and base (and the oil filter base and the fuel filter base and the tappet cover...)

Nothing to worry about. I would remove the air compressor first (4 bolts), simply for better access. It is straightup bolt removal for the base; no secrets. As you already said, you need a new gasket between base and air compressor (RTV discouraged because of oil passage) and between base and block.

You can check whether your compressor pressurizes the crank case: Remove the oil filler cap. Do you see "smoke" streaming or pulsing out with the engine running? Close the opening with your flat hand. If there is pressure buildup, you will start to feel it in a little while.
It is correct that crank case pressure can make the rear (or front) main seal leak.

Oil out of the compressor intake? Have you taken the compressor intake off to see what's going on in there? There should be an oil reservoir with an oil soaked filter element. It is one of the old school oil bath air filter setups.
Thank you very much for the info Cattlerepairman!! I will try opening the oil filler cap while running. Never thought of that. I don't get anything out of my slobber tube either. I had seen a TM about removing and cleaning the "air cleaner " element for the compressor. Definitely going to try that. I have a new compressor and will likely just throw that one on anyway.

Anything special to remove the pulley? I figure just a standard pulley puller.

bonedoc

The oil that comes out the compressor intake is very little. It is more of a spray or drip that you then see the remnants of on the side of the oil filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks