• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor question

rickf

OK, Air compressor guys. I have a 15 cfm compressor powered by a 4AO32 engine and a Quincey compressor on what appears to be a 60 gallon horizontal tank. I am trying to find out if this thing is putting out what it should. Got it running great, when it starts, that is another issue. Once running it purrs along great at speed and drops to idle at 125 lbs.. Runs back up at 120 lbs.. Takes exactly 5:30 to fill tank from empty to full. Very consistent 25 lbs. a minute on the gauge.
Opinions? Parts sources for compressor parts? Thanks.

Rick

Munchies

What model Quincy? Looking for a model number and a ROC number. "Record of change" quincy's name for "version" or Mk.2/3/4/5/etc

pacificaircompressors on ebay has rebuild kits for common stuff.

Got most of a 325 in parts to be built one day. Have another 325 almostr finished on a 80gallon tank with a big 5hp Baldor

1800 Diesel

That's not a bad time for filling the tank, but without knowing the max pressure it produces, the time factor doesn't mean much. Assuming that's a 2-stage machine, you should be seeing at least 175-200 PSI at cutoff point, depending on the pressure switch setting & the compressor's condition & capability.

Years ago we used to install Quincy D325s & 340s in the tugboats & IIRC, they would fill a 200 gallon tank in about 10 minutes. Also the engine starting air pressure was somewhere close to 250 PSI, so the cutoff switches were set pretty high.

rickf

The best I can come up with in a model is HGR5-8M. I adjusted the cutout down to 125 until I can get a regulator for it. This is the unit I will be using out back in the yard. Right now it is cutting out at 125 and in at 120. I will set it to spec of 175 and 145 when I get the regulator.

1800 Diesel

The best I can come up with in a model is HGR5-8M. I adjusted the cutout down to 125 until I can get a regulator for it. This is the unit I will be using out back in the yard. Right now it is cutting out at 125 and in at 120. I will set it to spec of 175 and 145 when I get the regulator.
Sounds to me like you have a good runner... :) Be sure you use the specified oil for that machine and don't overfill!

rickf

I went through the TM-5-4310-277-14 manual, figure 3-1, page 2. and the only oil mentioned for moderate temps is 30 weight motor oil. Sound about right? I have always used air compressor oil in all of my shop compressors.

1800 Diesel

I went through the TM-5-4310-277-14 manual, figure 3-1, page 2. and the only oil mentioned for moderate temps is 30 weight motor oil. Sound about right? I have always used air compressor oil in all of my shop compressors.
Same here, you should start with non-detergent compressor oil. I don't think they mean regular engine oil with additives that will foam when moisture gets mixed in. Redline makes a 30wt for compressor service and the big box stores typically have 30wt compressor oil. Lots of folks are using synthetic 30wt oil too, but I would just go with a 30wt ND for compressor service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks