• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor quit on my M932A2

930robb

Truck was running fine and all of the sudden the air compressor quit. I know its turning since I have power steering. Just wondering where to start. Truck only has 15,000 miles on it so I doubt its worn out and maybe just have something stuck? Just wondering where to start looking. I guess I can take the lines off and see if its pumping as I know its not leaking anywhere. I can just use an outside air source to move it. Not sure where to get parts if needed? Thanks in advance. Robb

Last edited by a moderator:

bigsix

Hey guys. I have a 931 converted to an m923 . I put a 12 ft duece bed on it. Anyway I have been having accessory air trouble. I replaced the governor ppv ,checked for leaks everywhere. Wipers and horn would barely squeek or move. But gauges showed 130 psi. My buddy Wes has helped me out today and located it. I don't know what the valve is called but it's on the transfer case and it was leaking all my accessory air into the case and blowing my oil out of every crack. I disconnected the auto front axle engage valve that's hooked to the lo-hi handle and plugged the lines. I also disconnected the lines to the other valve and directly hooked the axle engage switch directly to the valve just above the transfer case brake drum. It cut out all the unnecessary valves and lines and fixed my problem. If this happens you will start noticing oil seeping out from every shaft on the transfer case. I can send pics if any body needs them .

930robb

I found that my compressor is working its the large tank that I believe is the filter? that is between the air tanks that is the issue. It is staedily losing air out of the bottom hole in it. I assume it needs taken apart to see whats wrong. Does anyone have any idea of how to properly repair it? It looks pretty easy to take apart just dont want to start without a little input. Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I found that my compressor is working its the large tank that I believe is the filter? that is between the air tanks that is the issue. It is staedily losing air out of the bottom hole in it. I assume it needs taken apart to see whats wrong. Does anyone have any idea of how to properly repair it? It looks pretty easy to take apart just dont want to start without a little input. Thanks
Search.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

ROCKWELL-C60

Take plastic cover off bottom of air dryer, inside is rubber puck shave plastic around where puck sits problem solved. I used sharp flat tip screw driver and carefully around the grooves till puck fits loosely, the puck swell's and sticks then leaks. The rebuild kit on fleebay includes new plastic cover but no replacement puck.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing leaking is part of your air dryer system. Search term, Expello valve.

Air driers need to be serviced (every 6 months).

I'd bet you have never touched it.

Take time to download the free Technical Manuals and read them. They will help you understand how to use your truck safely and properly.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see people mentioning upgraded air dryers. What is the gain?
Tough crowd around here. O well my M1088 was not showing that much water but got a new upgrade one from Will at pawn king. Took the old one off and water came pouring out. Took it apart and lots of corrosion. Lets not forget the coalescing part of the filter also grabs the oil and it can affect the drying.
So it's a real good service on old the old one and hope corrosion is not bad on parts or upgrade right.
Almost cheaper to buy new and quicker if you get the good deals from our members.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Tough crowd around here. O well my M1088 was not showing that much water but got a new upgrade one from Will at pawn king. Took the old one off and water came pouring out. Took it apart and lots of corrosion. Lets not forget the coalescing part of the filter also grabs the oil and it can affect the drying.
So it's a real good service on old the old one and hope corrosion is not bad on parts or upgrade right.
Almost cheaper to buy new and quicker if you get the good deals from our members.

Sensitive crowd around here. I didn’t tell the OP to pound sand, I simply asked responders what is the advantage of a newer drier over a properly working older one? People list newer ones as better. Why? If they cost the same ss rebuilding the old one, I get it, but otherwise...?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drier air...?

Upgrade, is over used...

sandcobra164

Newer dryer advantages can probably be explained by a Haldex engineer. In my case, the advantage was a serviceable unit. I tried everything to get the filter assembly off of my old one including a strap wrench with an 18" 1/2" drive breaker bar motivating it. It never budged. I decided the next option would be to cut the filter shell in half with a dremel tool and work at getting to the center threads. My time is worth something as well so I got one the MRAP ones and service it at the appropriate interval. The filters are interchangeable between the two models.

Shirehorse

Sensitive crowd around here. I didn’t tell the OP to pound sand, I simply asked responders what is the advantage of a newer drier over a properly working older one? People list newer ones as better. Why? If they cost the same ss rebuilding the old one, I get it, but otherwise...?
They're built a little better and service a little easier, in my opinion. The ones Suprman has are about the same price as a rebuilt kit for the Pure Air Plus that is standard on the M939 series.

Jericho

Price was comparable for a replacement or a rebuild kit, AIR IS DRYER, I used to get water out of # two drain when ever I cracked it . I changed my filters and rebuilt the dryer about 6 months prior , still had water , Went with the MRAP dryer, don't have any moisture any more and my problems have disappeared