• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor regulator noise

joshgar8

Hey guys, I was just curious about the clicking the air pressure governer is making on my m35. I did a search on the site and came up with some clicking is normal and some is not normal. I started my truck up today and drove it about 15 miles. From the time it got up to pressure (100 psi) it had a clicking very very often, I would say about every two seconds. It is very cold here, 20 for a high. I thought it could be cold since it hasnt done this that often before but it never went away. It has made this noise before, but not like clock work like it did today. Am I having problems within that regulator or is that normal? I did notice everytime it would click the air pressure needle would twitch....... Thanks in advance,
Josh

saddamsnightmare

January 3rd, 2009.

joshgar8:

Depends how cold its been where you are driving the deuce. If the air pressure on the gage has been staying between 90 and 100 or so pounds, and you haven't been getting a low air buzzer, I would say your compressor governors doing its job. Its when you don't hear the clicking you have got a problem. When I first got Saddams Nightmare in 2007 from BulldogMack13, it seemed that the truck would not hold air very long when parked, but over time she goes between 6 and 24 hours on holding air when shut down. It seems to hold less well in the winter (probably due to gaskets and such shrinking) and does better in the summer, except if you use the air o matic much.

Do you have the alcohol inspirator hooked up to your air compressor? If not stay on top of draining the air tanks every hour or so depending on how hard you are using her, because you do not want water freezing up in your brake system. You'll still have the hydraulics and a really well developed set of leg muscles from fighting her to a stop......:razz:

Good luck and stay safe,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Wolf.Dose

How is your brake performance? The problem you describe sounds like full air tanks, but not with air, with water or a ice clocked line. Do you have an alcohol injector in your truck, is it filled up with alcohol?
For the winter problems in Europe since more than 20 years trucks have air dryers installed. It is a very helpfull device for it keeps any humidity out of the air system, so their will be no more of these problems. Did you check your regularor switch range? It should be max. 120 psi to blow off and start to close and refill latest at 90 psi. Else change the regulator.
The sneezing noise is normal for a regulator. If the noise exceeds 85 db(A), the valve is worn out and needs replacement.
Wolf

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sneezing noise is normal for a regulator. If the noise exceeds 85 db(A), the valve is worn out and needs replacement.
Wolf
......:roll: Sorry, but that does not apply for a stock M35 air governor if working correctly...

G.

vtdeucedriver

You should only hear it click now and again. If its rapid then something is wrong with the regulator. I had this happen with one of my deuces, changed it out and was back to normal. The cold could very well have something to do with it but in my case it was during the summer.

joshgar8

Thanks for the replies guys. It has always clicked at certain times, very random though. Now it is very very uniform, atleast every two seconds somwhat in rythm. My secondary tank didn't have anything come out when I blead the tanks, but the primarary tank seemed to be frozen. I try to drain the tanks everytime the truck is started. I only get at the max maybe two table spoons of water out of both tanks when I drain them. As far as the alcohol device, as far as I know it doesnt have that, and if it does it would be a good bet to say its empty:grin:. That was the first I have ever heard of that, I am going to look into to it and do some searching to see about getting one of those. The brakes work perfect, however they have always been very very sensitive. They stop really well with little effort at all.

Wolf.Dose

If you hear a sneezing noise on a M35 series truck, the govenor is worn out, no matter witch type of compressor is installed. Two flow compressor regulator noises are lower than in line pressure regulators.
Wolf

air governor noise

I have read the attached thread and others and I believe that I have an air governor issue. I have a very, very loud knocking noise a few times a second. The noise is non-stop. I drove about 470 miles today and the noise started about the last 75 miles or so. Air pressure remains steady, brakes work okay. My problem / question is that now I am 470 miles from home. What can I expect if I don't repair / replace until I return home; safety issues driving. I have some tools so I will attempt to clean like on thread discussed. Any other ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... not clear how that loud knocking sound could come from the air governor? Can you feel the knocking when touching the firewall? Are you sure it is not the air compressor itself, with a bearing gone bad? :?

Listening through a short piece of hose helps to positively locate the source of noise.

G.