• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor siezed!

dieselsmokem35a2

I was out driving my Deuce the other day and noticed it making a squealing sound once in a while, but only for a second. Got home and popped the hood with the motor running and saw that the belt seemed to be on the loose side. Had a spare so I went to replace it. Long story short I started to pull the pulley apart the next day to replace the belt and noticed that I could not turn the pulley to the aircompressor. Even with a big wrench I could not budge it! I have a spare on hand that I bought a long time ago. I think it is a rebuilt one. It is the single piston kind versus the dual piston compressor that I pulled off. Is the single piston one an older version? Any difference other than the pistons like output or anything? The air breather from the broken one fits on there fine and the main line going to the tanks looks like it will fit but the small copper line going to the presure regulator seems like it has some kind of small block the would bolt on to the compressor and then the fitting for the air line would come out of that. Unfortunitely I dont have this little block. There is a plastic plug stuck in there to protect the holes from the pain process but thats it. Anyone have an old single piston aircompressor that they would be willing to part out? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I like my single piston pump alot. I feel that it has a higher cfm than the duals. Sorry, no parts to help you with.

dieselsmokem35a2

Bjorn, that is the style compressor that siezed up on me. The one I am replacing it with is a little bit different, (single cylinder). If you had the single type we would be in buisness! Thank you very very much for trying to help though! It is greatly appreciated.

bgekky3

I have an extra one, and I think it is a single. I will check the compressor when I get home to see what kind it is. I will be headed your way on Friday morning on my way to my dads house if you need a hand or some parts.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to check the oil pressure supply line to your compressor. Compressors might stop pumping air, but they don't stop turning without a very serious reason for it. Usually it is because of inadequate lube supply. Like a failed or damaged supply line? Also check to see if there is metal in the return line to your engine.

Lee in Alaska

dieselsmokem35a2

Hey Rosco, I was sthinking the same thing. The inside of the compressor looked pretty oily though so I was thinking maybe one or both of the bearings are shot on the cam that runs the two pistons? The thing is that there is no oil supply line going to the unit. It gets its oil from the eingine block directly it looks like. When you take the unit off there is a kind of "shelf" that it bolts to. this come right out of the block. in that shelf there is a pasageway leading directly into the block that is almost 3/4" x 2". I am assuming that the oil just splashes out of that hole and lubes the cam for the compressor?

dieselsmokem35a2

Hey Bgekky3, I will PM you. Maybe we can get together Friday! Wanna help pull the head off too!? :wink: I am also fixing a head gasket leak and after 12 hours of unbolting and putting back together I found out that one of the studs coming out of the engine block is stripped out! No wonder it was leaking! Got a Helicoil Kit and hope to fix it that way. Keeping my fingers crossed!:cry: I just can't bare the thought of having to pull it all apart again! UGH!

gimpyrobb

When you take the air compressor off that "shelf" there is a hole at the back of the mount in the center. That is the oil supply line. Your single piston air pump should have an oil line on the back of it.

dieselsmokem35a2

When you take the air compressor off that "shelf" there is a hole at the back of the mount in the center. That is the oil supply line. Your single piston air pump should have an oil line on the back of it.

You are right Gimpyrobb. It is just like you decribed. There is a supply on the "single cylinder" compressor. This supply line goes from the side of the compressor to the base of the compressor. But the older single should be interchangeable with the dual setup without any modifications right?

gimpyrobb

Yes, direct swap. When I put mine on, I took some gasket material and set it on the bottom of the compressor. Then I used a small ballpeen hammer and tapped around the base. It will cut the gaset material and make a perfect gasket everytime.

citizensoldier

I had a double pumper throw a rod on my M109.. It jammed up and broke the belt. When the belt broke it whipped around and tore a hole in my lower radiator hose.. This took place at 5 AM in a complete rainstorm.. What a nightmare! Thanks for the pump armada..

dieselsmokem35a2

Yes, direct swap. When I put mine on, I took some gasket material and set it on the bottom of the compressor. Then I used a small ballpeen hammer and tapped around the base. It will cut the gaset material and make a perfect gasket everytime.

Luckily the one I bought on Fleabay came with a new gasket but that is a great trick to remember! Thanks.

militarysteel

i highly suggest the alcohol kit, it makes the whole air system last longer, including air pack... air steering, compressor, tanks.. i also have a fix if your air pack jams up... take the air inlet off from the airpak and squirt while lithium grease in the airpack and in the line.. reconnect, bleed master cyl pressure out of the top of the airpack, start up and it should un stick/jam.