• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Conditioned Deuce - Option discussion

VF1000R

I had an epiffiany (sp) , On Hardtop Deuces, what about removing the rear window and installing an AC unit ?

Removing the window leaves a hole about 28" w x 12" H.

I have researched the smallest window units and there are a couple out there that will fit. heck, even Walmart sells a namebrand for about $140.

then obviously, add a 1000 or higher watt inverter.

Installation would need to consider some vibration issues but no hill for a climber.

Window unit comes with a remote , so you don't have to be turning around to adjust.

What ya think ?

Exhaust is outside cab and for most models was directed up.

yes, you have to mod the cover and or fence. Still I think it has possibilities.

VF1000R

Graciousness accepted. Search function on this site is horrible.

Telling you I DID search is probably in vain. I'll make a new thread if I desire to do so.

DeucesWild11

Search help.. If you are not having luck with the search function try this.. When you are going to post a new thread, try typing in the "Title" field what you are looking for, then hit tab to go down to the "message" section where you write your details. When you hit tab it will bring up other posts with the similar name. Then if you find it you can back out of your post..I have found that to be an easier way to search sometimes... Hope that makes sense.. just my 2cents..

VF1000R

Definitely not truing to be a jerk, but telling me not to start a thread just because there appears to be significant discussion isn't helping at all.

Thanks DuecesWild11, I did that already.

While trying to express the idea of a LOW cost option and maybe an unexplored one , I posted this idea about inserting a Window unit in a hardtop window opening. In all the messages I reviewed and in all the threads I went through BEFORE posting this message, never did I find a similar post. The OPENING in a Hardtop is small and only a certain size unit would fit.

So I guess I need to start all the new threads that ask for opinions, help or sarcastic comment with "YES I checked the threads and nothing was found comparable".

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What the Heck ? I know i haven't been here in a while but I had 200 post count.

Who stole my Posts ?????????

Did you try searching for them?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Graciousness accepted. Search function on this site is horrible.

Telling you I DID search is probably in vain. I'll make a new thread if I desire to do so.
Search function works fine. Stupid thread titles are the problem as are attitudes of some of the members.

zout

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/parts-sale/80999-heating-ac-units.html

Reading through this will give some enlightenment as well - brings the folk out from the back yard working under an oak tree to see what can be done so something is not cobbled together as well.

Its not the item for sale - its what can be done with such an item. And this is no way a sales pitch for this member as there are a couple members with this item for sale.

Awesome Possum

5500 btu won't cut it except to blow some cold air at your head. I actually did this with a dc powered ac generator (a dynamo?). Have never seen another of these. 24V input inverters are also very expensive and not in the same class as the 12v chinese invertors. It'd be less expensive to run a generator in or under the bed.

HanksDeuce

I called the manufacturer for the A/C kit currently for sale in the classifieds.

A.R. Lintern provided the following heating & cooling values for this kit:
Heating: 43,000 BTU
A/C: 18,000 BTU

Not sure if this is large enough for the deuce...

Tom, do you think this A/C kit with the lower BTU values would cool and heat a deuce that is well insulated? In your own A/C thread you mention that you haven't insulated yet at all, and the 22,000 BTU is more than enough to drop the temperature. Well, would 18,000 BTU be enough with an over-engineered insulated cab?

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I called the manufacturer for the A/C kit currently for sale in the classifieds.

A.R. Lintern provided the following heating & cooling values for this kit:
Heating: 43,000 BTU
A/C: 18,000 BTU

Not sure if this is large enough for the deuce...

Tom, do you think this A/C kit with the lower BTU values would cool and heat a deuce that is well insulated? In your own A/C thread you mention that you haven't insulated yet at all, and the 22,000 BTU is more than enough to drop the temperature. Well, would 18,000 BTU be enough with an over-engineered insulated cab?
Thanks for getting that info on the AC kits.[thumbzup]

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i'm sure insulation will help, and real good insulation will help a lot. i will probably do mine soon but retirement takes up so much of my time!
tom

Flat Black

you are being a jerk when you start a thread asking people what they think about something when there are several other threads discussing the exact same thing already?

What do you hope to gain when its already being discussed?

Just a reminder why I dont come around here much, ****....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks