• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer freeze up and other problems

BenRoberts

Certified insane
ok I have an up date here are my findings. Truck had 25v in the battery, started just fine. truck was charging right around 25v running with lights and what not on 24.7v. with a meter on it the volt gauge read high then low then normal with no change on the meter. It also started building too much air pressure again and the horn and wipers did not function during this condition

74M35A2

It is not charging. 25.6V is standard voltage for full charged batteries in good condition. Anything over 25.6V is charging.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PPV is frozen or stuck.

74M35A2

Low cost replacement part @ NAPA.

Volt adjust screw is under an Allen head cover screw by the wire connection cover area if I remember right.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of that...where is the best place to insert anti freeze into a M939 air system...what kind, and how much is recommended...
The main line off the compressor is the best place to get it into the system . But this is one of those subjects the is up for debate as the anti-freeze can damage the air dryer and other parts of the system according to some reports. keeping the air dryer serviced and the tanks drained daily is the best method.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I bought the ppv at Erik's last night. I did find cheaper ones but I like doing business there. I'm supposed to get a bunch of ice here tonight and tomorrow but once it thaws I will try that voltage adjustment

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the voltage is high its usually the regulator thats bad. Its on the back and of the alternator and can be replaced without removing the alternator. There are 2 different types and they are not interchangeable. Alternators that say hellas greece and then everything else.

74M35A2

Your truck should have abs, and therefore an air dryer by the mid axle. I serviced mine once, and I have not drained a single drop of water from any drain after. I actually gave up on opening them because it seems to be 100% effective. Everybody will tell me that is terrible, and that is fine. I will change cartridges on it again this spring.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought the ppv at Erik's last night. I did find cheaper ones but I like doing business there. I'm supposed to get a bunch of ice here tonight and tomorrow but once it thaws I will try that voltage adjustment
Highly recommend to ditch the stock alternator asap.

When mine went bad, it was instant.
Took out PCB and ABS module.
CTIS controller hasn't acted same since, so count that too.

I coukd have bought three new Delco-Remy alternators for what its
cost me to replace what the lousy stock alternator fried.

I too thought since mines working fine, why replace it.
Yea....hindsight is 20/20

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Speaking of that...where is the best place to insert anti freeze into a M939 air system...what kind, and how much is recommended...
1/2 a quart. Take the line off the wet tank and add it in there. That way it will circulate. You can put some on the charging line going into the air dryer but do not use a lot. The dryer will just soak it up and not let it circulate. The wet tank holds most of the crap in the system.

The alternators on these trucks are hit or miss on being junk. I have done 32,000miles in 6 months. Never blew an alternator, pcb, or abs module. It is the luck of the draw really.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks