• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air dryer replacement for sure.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Will aka Suprman for the new dryer. I thought mine might be getting old and yes to my surprise the old one was full of water. I mean full. I had the universal backing plate so no holes needed to be drilled. Just one hole in the backing plate needed a rat tail file to open it up just a hair. All the fittings and lines were switched over so the only thing needed was a 1/4 to 1/8 bushing for the control line to dryer. I am glad I decided to put on a new one that's for sure. Do you need yours replaced? Bet you do!!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:
I got the same sweet dryer from Suprman, too. I also got the same mounting plate, but I had to cut the corner out of of the plate to clear the frame plate on our M1078. The holes lined up pretty well, though.
milling-bracket.jpg
fit-check.jpg
Michael

FloridaAKM

My original round one still works & the air tanks are dry, so for now, the old one will stay. Next year, I 'll get the new one from Suprman when I get the rest of the gremlins sorted out!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep that top left hole is the only one I had to adjust with the rat tail. My tanks showed very little water but the old dryer was full of water.
Sometimes it is easer to replace these old air dryers than to try and rebuild in my .02!

Uberlandwerks

Do you know the part number on the dryer unit? What part number works the best? I have read that there are three different dryers. The "old" style then the Haldex and a second generation Haldex.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had brakes not releasing right today due to ice in the lines. I decided to get one of the newest units from Will on order to prevent those struggles in the future. We almost had to park the truck a few miles from home, but I cycled the parking and trailer supply valves enough to break something loose in the lines or brake actuators.

I love the the smell of hot brake lining on a chilly day. :driver:

FloridaAKM

I should have listened to you guys last year, but the dryer seemed to be still working. Fast forward to earlier this week, I am blowing water out of the tanks. Suprman is shipping me a new Haldax unit & the old one will be replaced. I did order a new universal base plate to attach the new dryer to the truck, but there is alot of the original bracket to remove first. Too bad I just couldn't attach the new dryer to the old bracket. The majority of guys have spoken by replacing the entire assembly rather than adapt. I will know why by the time everything is reinstalled. Floridianson did get me a replacement kit to service the new dryer when that time rolls around.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys know these are supposed to be serviced every year or two right? There are rebuild kits out there to keep them in tip-top shape.

Its not a "put a new one on and forget it" accessory.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep that's a lot of time and probably no miles for me. They are a up grade from the old units on the FMTV. I will be putting one on the M915A2 when I get her home.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys know these are supposed to be serviced every year or two right? There are rebuild kits out there to keep them in tip-top shape.
Its not a "put a new one on and forget it" accessory.
Anyone happen to know the rebuild kit part number for the old "finned can" style one?

FloridaAKM

I pulled the old original air dryer off the M1081 this morning to see what it looked like inside as far as clean/wet. I can't post pictures from home, but the base of the original unit was full of tan mud....emulsified water & oil. No way was this thing doing any air drying, should have listened to you guys last year about replacing this. All pictures of replacement installations show none of the large original bracket that is removed & replaced by the Haldex plate. Is that attachment bracket just thrown away with no issues? I will continue with the tear down when the rain stops.

Okay, Schooled again; the large bracket that held the original air dryer works with that dryer, but when you go to install the new Haldex unit, the air inlet elbow bumps into the side of the bracket bolted to the frame. After seeing the problem, it started to rain again & back in the shop. So I guess I am set in my ways & don't want to remove the bracket. The universal plate had enough room to mill out 7/16" in the elongated bolt holes to set it further out away from the original bracket. When that move proved to work, two more holes were opened up so all 4 bolt holes to be used. The outlet had to be moved from its original position to where the hoses would connect up with nothing rubbing on the frame; same with the inlet hose. The control hose is too short now due to the connection port has rotated 90 degrees from the original attachment, so I will have to hard pipe it with 1/4" SS pipe fittings to where the original plastic hose can connect. Now my install is unique to this truck. Pictures to follow when finished! :)

LMTV Air Dryer Base.jpg Here is the inside of the air dryer base.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks