• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Dryer ?

helomech

I think it is the air dryer I am having trouble with. I posted a thread the other day. I found the air dryer in the TM, but mine does not look like the one in the TM. Do I have the right name for it?

IMG_3401.jpg

Here is the one from the manual.

TM-9-2320-272-24-20669im.jpg

elkhtr

Do a search for haldex air dryer. There are guys selling the new models complete on here almost as cheap as the service kit for yours.

helomech

Thanks guys. I took it apart and tightened the bolt while holding back on the top part that was spinning. I was able to tighten it up, and now I don't think it will come loose again. It has no leaks at all as long as the bolt is tight. Problem was that I could not tighten it up much at all with it installed. Will keep a eye on it, and if it loosens again I will replace the entire thing.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If it's the expello valve on the bottom leaking it will happen again. The valve moves downward to vent moisture and then gets stuck and air pressure coming from the trucks compressor just dumps out the valve. The air in your tanks will last till it runs out since there are check valves on the lines leading to the tanks. The bolt head on the bottom of the expello valve dosnt do anything. When it gets stuck just stick something in there and push up to close the valve. If you want to rebuild it you have to remove it and take it all apart. The valve is replaced from the inside.

helomech

If it's the expello valve on the bottom leaking it will happen again. The valve moves downward to vent moisture and then gets stuck and air pressure coming from the trucks compressor just dumps out the valve. The air in your tanks will last till it runs out since there are check valves on the lines leading to the tanks. The bolt head on the bottom of the expello valve dosnt do anything. When it gets stuck just stick something in there and push up to close the valve. If you want to rebuild it you have to remove it and take it all apart. The valve is replaced from the inside.
That bolt was actually loose and that is why it was leaking. I could not get it tight until I removed it. When it was leaking I could tighten the bolt and it would stop until the bolt got loose again. I think I got the bolt tight so that it wont come loose again. The spring still is still free to move. With the bolt loose there is always a gap for air to escape.

When it was loose air was blowing out constantly if the truck was running. Now it is building pressure like normal.

dilligaf13

Are you talking about the small bolt on the bottom of the plactic expello valve? If so it doesn't tighten or loosen anything. The plactic expello valve slides in and out, as needed, to purge excess air pressure on the air dryer. They have a tendancy to stick open and leak off all the air pressure. I've added some lubricant to the plastic valve and it usually squares the problem away.