• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air escaping through air intake stack

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is the spring brake diaphragm supposed to be field replaceable? Yes, I read the TM. It shows how to take the whole assembly off then just says " Check spring brake diaphragm for leaks". If there are details on replacing the spring brake diaphragm could you point the location in the TM for me? You just can't straight in present the can straight in to the housing. The pop off safety ears on the can requires that the can be twisted on wrinkling the diaphragm. I am going to try to lubricate the diaphragm with dish soap and/or lay hack saw blades flat on the diaphragm to slide the can over the diaphragm while twisting. BTW I am having trouble with the text editor. I can do CR's and after triple checking the text comes out all screwed up after publishing. I even compose in my word processor do a spell and grammar check cut and past and it still comes out screwed up.
Be careful with the cans. They can kill.

If you're using IE 10, try setting it to compatibility mode.

goldneagle

Be careful with the cans. They can kill.

If you're using IE 10, try setting it to compatibility mode.
DO NOT replace the diaphragms on the spring brake canisters! I only replaced the diaphragms on the Non-spring brakes since they are safe to work on. The spring tension in the spring brakes can release with EXPLOSIVE force and take your head off or cause severe injury! Just buy new assemblies and replace the old one.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 936 leaks air through the intake when I release the parking brake, and stops when I pull the parking brake back up. I checked the diaphragms, and I do not believe they are the cause of my problems. I took a picture pointing to the line that is letting the air out. It is one of the lines attached the brake pedal.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My 936 leaks air through the intake when I release the parking brake, and stops when I pull the parking brake back up. I checked the diaphragms, and I do not believe they are the cause of my problems. I took a picture pointing to the line that is letting the air out. It is one of the lines attached the brake pedal.
What happens when the spring brake override is activated? If it does it as well then, your problem is further in the air brake system. If not, signs would point to the valve at the parking brake lever. I've got one left over from my project if it turns out to be that.

goldneagle

What happens when the spring brake override is activated? If it does it as well then, your problem is further in the air brake system. If not, signs would point to the valve at the parking brake lever. I've got one left over from my project if it turns out to be that.
Could be a torn diaphragm on the spring brakes. If that is the case you will need to isolate the one or more that are torn and replace the entire assemblies. Up to 4 assemblies. Procedures are in the TMs.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Right, but using the springbrake override would isolate if it's a lever issue or a can issue. That's why I suggested to try it first.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The same issue happens when the parking brake is on, and the spring brake override button is pushed. I also swapped out the valve on the parking brake valve with a known working one, and had he same issue.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, then that will point towards a bad diaphram in one of the cans. Best way to check is one by one with plugs for the lines.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, then that will point towards a bad diaphram in one of the cans. Best way to check is one by one with plugs for the lines.
I replaced all of the diaphragms in the spring brake chambers today. I will check the air lines tomorrow to make sure I put them back together correctly. I also disconnected the air lines one by one on the other 6 chambers and still had that leak.

Attachments

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I disconnected the air lines that run to the spring brake chambers, and air was still leaking into the intake.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're thinking it's the pedal valve, I've got a known good one left over from my project as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks