• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Filter Water

gcbennet

So, I've been working on my truck in my driveway for well over a month now. It's been raining a fair amount but I've been vigilant to cover holes and unplugged connectors and so forth to keep moisture and corrosion out. Big shock today when I pulled the rubber plug on the bottom on the air cleaner housing and a gallon of water came pouring out! The filter is rusted and saturated. It weighs about 10 lbs! I would assume the water got in through the intake. It's not a deep ford stack but it is capped for normal use. But, the water still managed to get up and in somehow. Just food for thought for anyone who has their humvee sitting outside for any length of time. I almost started it but decided to check the filter first on a hunch.image.jpg

RustyM923

Without the fording stack, your truck should have a rubber one way "pinch" valve on the bottom of the box.

Was there a clamped pipe cap on the bottom?

The water is probably from hosing it off. Or deep fording without a snorkel.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Under the air intake mushroom is a flange that is screwed to the body. Make sure the sealant between the flange and body is sound.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you add a fording kit, the intake gets a large rubber elbow and the rubber cap you have, this prevent any water intrusion. Non fording equipped "army trucks" have no rubber elbow, they have a metal sleeve that screws to the body and the intake cap get hose clamped onto. The cap on the bottom of the air cleaner is a duck bill, that get squeezed to discharge dirt and debris, drain water etc. your cap is wrong for a non-fording truck.
there is also a discharge vent on the intake housing. Dirt and water is supposed to exit there...but can't when they get clogged.....IMO, they are all clogged till you remove your intake cap and baffle and blow it out...you can't see it when the air filter canister is on the truck. I have seen the intake housing caked full to the top with mud when the fording elbow is installed because there is no way for all that mud and water to drain out that small clogged outlet.
I install the fording elbow on all my trucks and cap off the bottom of the filter cannister.

gcbennet

Being an ex-Marine humvee it has remnants of the DFK everywhere, and just and as you pointed out the rubber cap is one of them. As well, the intake duct flange on my truck is not sealed and water is entering through there with nowhere to escape since the exit point is DFK rubber-capped. Good lesson for those of us whom happen to own trucks formerly belonging to the Marines. I intend to install the DFK back to original again so I'll leave the plug in place and continue shopping around for the components.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks