• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Force CUCV

pmramsey

I hope it is cooler there today than yesterday CUCVRUS. It is still too hot here to ride my favorite non-CUCV machine little cutie that I shared yesterday. Its my daily driver...seriously...Not very far mind you but still my daily driver. I am trying to locate a few of the accessories pictured here. The trailer is a nice feature. I suppose we have worked these posts to death. Better move on. Nice exchanges. :cool::)
Military Bicycle.jpgMilitary Bicycle1.jpgMilitary Bicycle2.jpgMilitary Bicycle4.jpgMilitary Bicycle5.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I would like to call my Air Force Flight Line Van a CUCV,

What year is your expediter? And what body company built the body on back. We built hundreds of these in 1996 that had 6.5 turbo diesels in them. Dark Blue for the Air Force and white for the Navy. Most mileage I ever saw on one was 16K and that was just a few months ago at a scrap sale.
If you're asking about the flight line vans, it's a 2001, the body was made by Grumman Olson on a cutaway van chassis.

Other non-CUCV military vehicles are discussed in this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ned-civilian-vehicles-used-by-US-Armed-Forces

Last edited:

rustystud

After reading this post I feel I need to remove my truck from the CUCV list. I have spent the last 20 years removing any trace of military influence from my truck. OK I still have the battery trays and the large radiator with the engine cooler built in. That is just too "cool" of a radiator to get rid of ! Get it "cool" ! :-D There might be a few other things still on it I have forgotten but I removed the 6.2 engine years ago. The bumpers are gone, the 24 volt system is gone. Actually the 24 volt system got itself burnt to a crisp years ago. I never did repaint it but there are lots of 1980's Chevy's with that ugly tan color on them. There still is that hole in the roof they had their antenna sticking out of I need to fix. I just put a steel plug in and some RTV sealant. But beyond all that you could never tell from just looking at my truck that at one time it was owned by the U.S. Air-Force. They had a tank of fire suppressant in it before I got it. So they added some overload springs on it.
Now it looks just like any other Chevy truck. So all that being said I will stop posting pictures of my truck as "Technically" it is no longer a CUCV. I'm being serious here. This site "should" be for people who have and want to maintain their CUCV's .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the "D" gone from the VIN number yet? If not, it's still a CUCV. According to the VIN cards, tbat "D" denotes militayy.

rustystud

Is the "D" gone from the VIN number yet? If not, it's still a CUCV. According to the VIN cards, tbat "D" denotes militayy.
I don't know how to change a VIN number but in all honesty it really is just a standard Chevy truck now. I truly believe this site should be for others that are wanting to maintain there "original" CUCV . Any other way and it will dilute the sites information for real CUCV owners. Now if there was a site on how to modify your CUCV to look just like a regular truck then mine would fit right in. I've actually kept most of the parts I took off except for the burnt up wiring. I was planning to use the 24 volt jump plug on my deuce since it is the newer single pole unit and my deuce has the older 2 pole unit.

pmramsey

Looks like the driver could have used a set of the very rare but practical top mounted NOS training wheels. I have never known a CUCV to be able to go fast enough to actually flip that hard. Personally, I think a C-130 Loadmaster is out there somewhere looking for a missing CUCV listed on his manifest.

reaper556

Looks like the driver could have used a set of the very rare but practical top mounted NOS training wheels. I have never known a CUCV to be able to go fast enough to actually flip that hard. Personally, I think a C-130 Loadmaster is out there somewhere looking for a missing CUCV listed on his manifest.

That's what I would suspect from the looks of that mess