• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Force Ford C700?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So I won this for a whopping 450 bucks. Starts and runs, I need to go ahead and transport it home. Has anyone seen an AF Ford C700? Not sure what engine is in it, the listing says v8 diesel but they also said they haven't verified its a v8.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Ok, so got to see it in person at last. It started right up and idled well. I didnt run it long as I spotted the heater core line needs to be repaired (or looped for now. Interesting it seems to be a runway tow vehicle? Is it normal for the buzzer to stay on after engine start? That might be unpleasant all the way home :D

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, so got to see it in person at last. It started right up and idled well. I didnt run it long as I spotted the heater core line needs to be repaired (or looped for now. Interesting it seems to be a runway tow vehicle? Is it normal for the buzzer to stay on after engine start? That might be unpleasant all the way home :D
Probably from low air pressure. Assuming it didn't run long enough to build air. Unless the switch on the tank is stuck open.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Less than 30 seconds and its been parked 2 years or so. So the buzzer should stop once air is up right? Any tips on driving it home?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Fair enough, I was quoted 1000 to move the 5 ton and 500 to move the Ford... 14 miles... so going to get them home for less money.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like the big brother to the GM 6.2 diesel, the 8.2. Says "Tractor" on the data plate, so it had a fifth wheel in USAF service.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I won this for a whopping 450 bucks. Starts and runs, I need to go ahead and transport it home. Has anyone seen an AF Ford C700? Not sure what engine is in it, the listing says v8 diesel but they also said they haven't verified its a v8.

Nice !

We'll enjoy following your progress.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yes still has 5th wheel on it, the 1 photo I saw before looked like a flat bed. Hope to go back Monday and pick her up. Never drove a truck with an Alison transmission.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes still has 5th wheel on it, the 1 photo I saw before looked like a flat bed. Hope to go back Monday and pick her up. Never drove a truck with an Alison transmission.
Well... So far, the Allison seems to "Git R Done" as best I can tell. My neighbors at Concrete Supply admired my M936 with a Cummins power plant and an Allison behind it. Their folks drive the wheels off their trucks (in a good way) and they don't seem to have a lot of troubles to fix.

Congratulations on your new truck!

Tim

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's butt-fugly in a cool kind of way. If I ever got a tractor, I'd like an International Harvester Sightliner:
That Sightliner is so darn ugly it is almost "cute" for a truck. I enjoyed reading the write-up. The absolute best part is one quote that I have heard before where being a cab over driver is always the "first one on the scene when he has an accident".

Nowdays. the glass in the front wouldn't work. Too many perverts in this old world today! Or maybe it could depending out your outlook (inlook?).

When I started learning to drive a big truck, the first thing I drove was a GMC Astro95 Daycab. Powered by a 6v Detroit and some sort of Roadranger.

:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks