• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Air Force" M35A2 trucks

tamangel

on the contrary...

Don't take for granted that all AF Deuces stayed on base during their tenure . During the Viet Era, I was stationed at Cannon AFB, New Mexico with the 609th Tac Control Squadron. We were a mobile outfit of 100 people plus. Every MOS (not the AF term..)..Hauling mobile radar, kitchens, Rubber Duck inflaitible Operations shelters, huge tents, radio gear, whatever was needed to support the mission and the troops. My Communications van stuffed with teletype and Crypto gear was in a shelter on the back of a deuce. We had a few M715's, one M37, and a few 5 ton tractors and even a wrecker. Most of the trucks were the M35 series. Our maneuvers in support of air ops were loooonnngg hauls. NMEX to Louisiana, all over Texas, etc.. One memorable run was to the Grand Canyon area off SR 64 on the Gray Mountain Truck Trail. About a 1000' climb in the dead of winter. Heavy mud and snow..Tight switchbacks w/ water buffalos and 105 trailers made for an interesting trip for those not skilled enough to back a short wheelbase unit up. Crazy days then. Used to teach newbies how to use a manual transmission with deuces and exercise them off base next to the RR right of Way through 5 - 10' high brush choked vegitation. Never missed a beat.. Fun times.. I'm sure they keep tabs on those guys better now.. :)

found this link, don't remeber the author but it was the time I was there..
http://www.mobileradar.org/vet_roster/bios/hartman_harvey/hartman_609_memories.pdf

Mike

1956_4x4

wyomingjeep said:
From what i have seen in the AF is if it is not a aircraft the AF does not really care. We have the best civilian vehicles because they are looked at as disposiable. In terms of tactical vehicles they are not good at all because they are not replaced as often.
I'm not too sure where you pulled this idea from, but I can tell you it's wrong. I spent 26 years maintaining AF vehicle fleets. The AF vehicles are maintained to mfg specifications throughout their life. Each vehicle has a life expectancy that is established by a combination of age, mileage/hours and repair costs. Sometimes the vehicles are replaced due to a new model coming in to replace an old one. The vehicle authorization listing only allows a specific number of vehicles according to a unit's mission. I have seen perfectly good vehicles sent to DRMO because of this. I have also had to keep vehicles in the fleet that have exceeded their life expectancy, because a replacement wasn't available. These vehicles were repaired at minimum essential repair levels (safe and serviceable) only.

Now that the bases are going GSA with their fleets, I can't really speak for the condition. I'd guess it would depend on how well the QA is doing his/her job...

I always made it a point to establish a program to pull funds from units for repairs in vehicle abuse cases. After a unit lost funds it was always amazing how much more emphasis was placed upon vehicle care by the unit commanders.

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks