• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air governor

rustystud

I understand your frustration as all the diagrams show the air compressor line run straight to the air-dryer.
Like I said before, the Deuce has three air tanks. The first one inline has two chambers. One "wet" tank, and the other is a dry tank used to service the truck. Since the Deuce was never designed to use a air-dryer, you need to splice into the air line coming out of the "wet" tank, and install the air-dryer.
That "diagram" Bendix supplied is a "standard" example and does not reflect the environment we have here in the Pacific Northwest.
Anyone running an air-dryer in the Northwest really needs to install the air-dryer after the wet tank.
We have to much humidity. That is why when I worked at IHC the trucks and later when I worked at Metro on the buses, they have the air compressor run its line to the wet tank, then the air-dryer. On our older buses they had the air-compressor run straight to the air-dryer. They later added a small wet tank called the "ping" tank after the air-compressor as the air-dryers got full of gunk too fast due to our humidity.

Last edited:

rustystud

I just realized I have been giving you the solution to the long-term problem not your immediate problem. Your original problem was the air governor not working and you found ice in the line. I should have realized then your problem. The only explanation I can give for my brain fart is that I've been sick for the last two weeks and my brain feels like it is encased in fog.
Your immediate problem is your "Dessicant" needs replacing. The air going to the governor should be "dry" air, and you have excessive moisture in your line causing it to freeze due to the dessicant being "full" . It has reached its limit on absorbing moisture.
Now the reason it has reached this limit is due to the excessive amount of moisture coming from the air-compressor. That is why I have stated over and over that here in the PNW we need to plumb the air-compressor line to the wet tank first, then go to the air-dryer.

davidb56

the governor's working. I wanted to test it thinking maybe it could be stuck in the unloaded position without air pressure. Mine is fine. after removing the ice from the line, everything is fine. I started it up every day now and then bleed the tanks a little. No moisture comes out. Before I had the dryer, Id get quite a bit. I understand what you are saying about the wet tank, as it was confusing since both tanks on the deuce are the same part number and suppliers sell the same one for the 2 tank set up. I noticed on the A3, its considered the "primary" tank. I may get around to re plumbing it to supply air after the first tank and before the second tank, but probably wait until Im forced to, as my projects are backed up pretty far (kids dont help that part either). Id like power steering, but am not going to do it because everyone will want to borrow it. As of now, they cant get it up the drive way because of the angle I park it, requires 2 backup maneuvers.........intentionally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks